Smeding Performance 383 in a 97 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supspt454

Reaction score
Hello all. Jasper L31 long block, 4000 miles, lost a rod, and knocked a hole in the block and pan. Ordered a new 383 short block from Smeding Perfomance. Just looking for extra power for this extended cab short box truck daily driver. Planned to go with factory Vortec truck intake, upgraded AUS Injection MPFI 36lb hr injector upgrade, factory GM billet 94 LT1 camshaft 202/[email protected] .450/.460 lift 116LSA. Thinking about using 1.6 rockers. Looking for head options such as Promaxx Series One 185cc Vortec, or Edelbrock E Tech 170cc or 200cc. I have the 0411 pcm already. Just looking for a great, long lasting, more powerful engine for this DD. Factory 4l60E is already rebuilt with new stock converter. 3.42 gears, 275/60/15 tires. Looking for opinions on this set up. Yes, I understand that there will be lots of power left on the table not using a better induction system, but this is all I can afford for now, (why I am wanting to get the right set of heads for later induction upgrade?). I refuse to buy another remanufactured long block, and my core is trashed. Thank you all in advance.

supspt454

Reaction score
I have watched their youtube channel, for whatever that's worth. I bet if you called them they would recommend something or build you a long block.
Hi. I talked to them a little. I already bought the short block. I plan to do the rest myself. Thanks

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the LT1 cam but there are better options for a 383. Something like the Erson cam Lloyd Elliot and I spec'd would be great in a 383. 219/219 @ 0.050, 112 LSA and 0.578 lift with a 1.7 rocker. I do not have it in my engine yet, but I know it will drastically change my engines character compared to the crappy Como spec'd custom 218/228 on a 108 LSA they pushed for. I wanted a single pattern but they really pushed for a dual pattern with an unecessary 10* split and way too much overlap, I should have calculated that out better before agreeing to those specs. Etec 170 heads for low speed power, 200cc heads if you want to rev it out to 5,500-6,500 on a regular basis. For longevity keep the RPM under 6K. Despite what some people think the stock manifold is not a huge choke to power by any means especially with some porting to the runners and a higher flowing spider. The stoxk air intake system from the throttle body to the filter is garbage even with the 350 and stock cam. I saw very little if any gain putting a ported marine manifold back on my 383 and it makes 500 hp at the crank.

supspt454

Reaction score
I like the LT1 cam but there are better options for a 383. Something like the Erson cam Lloyd Elliot and I spec'd would be great in a 383. 219/219 @ 0.050, 112 LSA and 0.578 lift with a 1.7 rocker. I do not have it in my engine yet, but I know it will drastically change my engines character compared to the crappy Como spec'd custom 218/228 on a 108 LSA they pushed for. I wanted a single pattern but they really pushed for a dual pattern with an unecessary 10* split and way too much overlap, I should have calculated that out better before agreeing to those specs. Etec 170 heads for low speed power, 200cc heads if you want to rev it out to 5,500-6,500 on a regular basis. For longevity keep the RPM under 6K. Despite what some people think the stock manifold is not a huge choke to power by any means especially with some porting to the runners and a higher flowing spider. The stoxk air intake system from the throttle body to the filter is garbage even with the 350 and stock cam. I saw very little if any gain putting a ported marine manifold back on my 383 and it makes 500 hp at the crank.
Great thanks for the input. Do you have any opinion on the Promaxx Series One 185cc Vortec heads? They are on backorder, and are like $1200 shipped with HR springs. That was one reason I started looking at the E Techs. I wish the Vortec Bowties were easier on the wallet.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great thanks for the input. Do you have any opinion on the Promaxx Series One 185cc Vortec heads? They are on backorder, and are like $1200 shipped with HR springs. That was one reason I started looking at the E Techs. I wish the Vortec Bowties were easier on the wallet.
Not a fan of paying good money for cast iron heads. Unless you intend on letting a machine shop go through the chinese built heads and are ready to correct even more issues with more money, just get the Edelbrock heads. Between the older Performer TBI and Etec170s heads I have owned and the 3 other sets of Edelbrock heads I have installed for customers, they were all perfect out of the box and ready to go.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wonder why the 170s are $300 more pair.
In relation to what head? There are different part numbers on both the 170 and 200 cc for the spring packages Edelbrock offers with them. Perhaps you are comparing a flat tappet spring package vs roller spring package. If you are talking about the Edelbrock vs the Promax you are talking USA built quality vs Chinese junk. I have run Chinese head castings with good luck but I buy the castings bare and use good parts in them. I also get them resurfaced and have a better valve job done to them.

supspt454

Reaction score
In relation to what head? There are different part numbers on both the 170 and 200 cc for the spring packages Edelbrock offers with them. Perhaps you are comparing a flat tappet spring package vs roller spring package. If you are talking about the Edelbrock vs the Promax you are talking USA built quality vs Chinese junk. I have run Chinese head castings with good luck but I buy the castings bare and use good parts in them. I also get them resurfaced and have a better valve job done to them.
The Edelbrock 170 vs 200 both with hydraulic roller springs installed. The 170 is more expensive. I assume because the demand for the 170 is greater.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Edelbrock 170 vs 200 both with hydraulic roller springs installed. The 170 is more expensive. I assume because the demand for the 170 is greater.
OR - maybe the 170 takes more aluminum due to smaller runners, and harder to work them for clean up after casting?