cummins powered crew cab chevy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domepiece

Reaction score
Figured i'd start a build thread now that i have a little something to show. my truck had a 6.5l turbo in it with 206k on it. the accelerator pedal assembly needed replace and rather then spend the $600 on that i decided i'd just put a cummins in it which was my plan for the truck all along. So i found a 1997 p-pumped 5.9 out of a freightliner fedex truck with 241k miles on it that came with a Allison AT542 tranny. I damn near stole this motor as it came with everything from the intercooler to the tailshaft. Hell i even got the frame rails that everything is bolted into for $1500. I got to fire it up and hear it run before i even bought it so i know it's a good motor. So far i've got the old 6.5l about ready to come out. just have to remove my core support and undo the motor mounts.

I also am getting an old BrownLipe 3 speed under/overdrive unit for it to give me overdrive as well as a little more selection of gear fo towing.

The interesting thing is going to be fitting all this in the truck. It's lowered and i don't want anything hanging below my frame rails as i plan on bagging the truck next year. If anyone has any pics of a 5.9 in this body style of truck please post them up. I have searched all over and can't seem to find any pics.

here she is.
You must be registered for see images attach

old motor about to come out.

New engine after some degreaser and a car wash.

I got the old motor out finally and cleaned the frame up a little bit and sprayed it with some rustoleum flat black just to make it a little cleaner. it's not show quality but it looks alot better then it did. I also got the intercooler and radiator and stuff off the cummins pulled and started getting it ready to come out of the framerails it's still in. hopefully this week i can get the cummins pulled and about ready to go in the truck. i'm looking for a tranny right now as I really want a 5 speed along with the brown lipe. that'll give me a lot more selection of gears and 2 sticks. it'll be like driving a really low big rig.

Picked up my brown-lipe today and got my truck pushed back into the shop. I also about got the cummins out of the freightliner frame. didn't get as much done as I wanted to because of a sick kid and family **** going on all weekend.

Also decided i'm not going to run the allison. I just don't think i'd be happy with an automatic. So i'm looking for a 5 or 6 speed dodge tranny and adaptor set to put behind the cummins. with a 5 speed and the 3 speeds in the brownie i'd have 15 gears to choose from. plus a double overdrive for speeding down the highway. if i get a 6 speed i'd have 18 gears.

The gears in the brownie are a 1.52:1 underdrive, 1:1 direct drive, and .72:1 overdrive. With the 4.11 gear my truck has and the low ass first gear of the 5 or 6 speed I should be able to pull a house over without breaking a sweat.

domepiece

Reaction score
Just copied and pasted from the fullsize chevy forum. the trucks got 3 inch drop spindles and 2 inch springs up front and a flip kit and mini notch in the back.