Couple questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well ive got my 350 up and running. Im running the 4.3 computer and the 4.3 fuel pump. It seems to be running a little rich I timed it to 0 with the est wire disconnected then shut it off and plugged it back in and you could tell the computer picked it up. It still feels a little doggy though and isn't as quick as I think it should be. Theres also a little bit of black smoke coming out the back when it idles and smells a little rich. Also when it idles at first start it sounds like it has a huge cam but the cam is a smooth idling cam (or so it says) Any input on this?
Motor- 5.7 edelbrock cam, intake, and lifter set, and headers.

Last edited:

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
get a 5.7 ECU or at least a chip for the V8. the problem is the injectors are diff sizes. and all you did was add 2 more cyl. you could try the 4.3ltr injectors?? may work or not

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
get a 5.7 ECU or at least a chip for the V8. the problem is the injectors are diff sizes. and all you did was add 2 more cyl. you could try the 4.3ltr injectors?? may work or not

I used the 5.7 tbi. But the computer is still 4.3. Sp your saying swap the ecu out for the 5.7 and it should pump the right amount of fuel? Also my check engine light is on to.

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
Well ive got my 350 up and running. Im running the 4.3 computer and the 4.3 fuel pump. It seems to be running a little rich I timed it to 0 with the est wire disconnected then shut it off and plugged it back in and you could tell the computer picked it up. It still feels a little doggy though and isn't as quick as I think it should be. Theres also a little bit of black smoke coming out the back when it idles and smells a little rich. Also when it idles at first start it sounds like it has a huge cam but the cam is a smooth idling cam (or so it says) Any input on this?
Motor- 5.7 edelbrock cam, intake, and lifter set, and headers.

I will look in storage for the 5.7 ecu I have... You pay for shipping you can have it.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will look in storage for the 5.7 ecu I have... You pay for shipping you can have it.

Works for me. Im going to the junkyard tomorrow after workso hopefully they have one. So you guys think its only the ecu not dumping enough fuel into the motor?

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I picked up a 5.7 computer and plugged it in. It runs alot smoother now. But still feels a little numb. Im going to re time it tonight and see if i can get a little more out of it.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The possibility of the 6 being a vortec and the 8 being a lower CR could possibly be why the v6 ecu was running rich. Higher compression usually dictates more fuel being injected, along with that cam, it wasn't able to lower the amount of fuel being taken in by enough. Not saying that's what happened, it just kinda sounds possible....orcourse my awkward thinking makes cold-fusion sound possible also.
:lol:

Oh, another thing ya coulda done before install(can be done after, but doubt you'd wanna do it), was to either deck the block or plane the heads, and if there was enough material on the intake side of heads, plane the facings so the intake fits again....if not, then plane the intake to fit. That's the best way to fix low CR heads if you don't replace them. I do all the work myself though, so I don't have the bills from machine shops to take into consideration. haha

Run it numb until you can get a chip burned.

Last edited:

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mess with the timing, with a cam in it you may need a little more advance than stock setting

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
mess with the timing, with a cam in it you may need a little more advance than stock setting

^very true....forgot to mention that lil tidbit. The engine will be getting more fuel, so advancing will pep up the performance. You're probably getting a retarded burn at the current setting.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I warmed the truck up, Timed it to zero, shut the truck off unplugged the est wire still at zero, plugged it back in and it ran smooth. Drove it 30 miles or so and it doesn't have the power I feel a v8 should from a dead stop and if you get on it the tires dont even come close to spinning (from a dead stop) and going 50 when you punch it it feels a little numb as well, but the idle seems to be a little lower and not as smooth now. The reason for me thinking it doesnt have what it should have is because my v6 had more power then this it would spin from a dead stop. But if I advance the timing won't the computer just set it to stock settings anyway?