Couple questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
that is not much of a cam, just a half step above stock. where did you set the timing chain; did you use a stock chain and gears or a double roller with three different settings? I have had issues with setting a cam in straight up "0" and had to go in and advance it 4 degrees to get what I wanted out of it???

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that is not much of a cam, just a half step above stock. where did you set the timing chain; did you use a stock chain and gears or a double roller with three different settings? I have had issues with setting a cam in straight up "0" and had to go in and advance it 4 degrees to get what I wanted out of it???

Thats all i wanted was a little more then stock. Ive got the timing set at about 12 degrees and it starts easy and seems to have the power it should have.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
some times you have to throw out that "0" distributor timing out with an after market cam. you never know? I put a 327 with a 270H in it under a TBI had to advance the cam 4 deg', then had to set timing by ear, who knows where it was???? but It would spank a stock Vortec until they hit there rev limit, then it aint no fun!! and It was getting 24mpg consistently ---- If I drove her nice? LOL Cam changes are always dicey on EFI rigs. Oh it was a 1989 short step side, standard cab.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
some times you have to throw out that "0" distributor timing out with an after market cam. you never know? I put a 327 with a 270H in it under a TBI had to advance the cam 4 deg', then had to set timing by ear, who knows where it was???? but It would spank a stock Vortec until they hit there rev limit, then it aint no fun!! and It was getting 24mpg consistently ---- If I drove her nice? LOL Cam changes are always dicey on EFI rigs. Oh it was a 1989 short step side, standard cab.

Exactly. I figured the computer would correct it if it wasnt close to the "settings" but i timed it and you could see the computer bring it with me, it was actually pretty cool. I averaged about 14.5mpg and that was driving it pretty hard. So i think its close.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Thats all i wanted was a little more then stock. Ive got the timing set at about 12 degrees and it starts easy and seems to have the power it should have.

You need to buy an ALDL cable and download TunerPro before you burn that engine up. You're going to get yourself into trouble running 40 degrees of total timing in that engine, although the ECM is probably pulling most of it out due to spark knock. Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it isn't there. Just an FYI, those heads really don't perform any better once you pass 30 degrees of advance. They're "fast burn" heads so they don't need a huge amount of total timing. 5-6 degrees is the most base timing I've ever put into a TBI engine, and even then it was accounted for in the tune. (the base timing was just to help initial start an idle, and that was with an LT4 hotcam for example.)

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need to buy an ALDL cable and download TunerPro before you burn that engine up. You're going to get yourself into trouble running 40 degrees of total timing in that engine, although the ECM is probably pulling most of it out due to spark knock. Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean it isn't there. Just an FYI, those heads really don't perform any better once you pass 30 degrees of advance. They're "fast burn" heads so they don't need a huge amount of total timing. 5-6 degrees is the most base timing I've ever put into a TBI engine, and even then it was accounted for in the tune. (the base timing was just to help initial start an idle, and that was with an LT4 hotcam for example.)

When I set it at 5-6 degrees it runs like sh*t and my 6 cylinder had more power. It likes it where it is. How is it going to harm the engine if its running like a champ?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you get the chip with the Edelbrock intake? Any time you take TBI motors away from stock, you get them out of their comfort zone. That, and I have no idea what 5.7 computer you got (theyre not all the same or have the same tune). If I were you, I would contact TBIchips.com and give him all the particulars on your motor, all the part #s of the parts you put on, and the part # of the ECM youre running and see what he suggests. That guy has built some pretty impressive TBI motors and should be able to help you get it right. Hes getting close to 400hp and 25mpg in a 4wd 1/2t so he should know what youve got going.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did not get the chip. It said the chip was only available if I purchased the edelbrock heads to. The computer was out of a 93 tahoe with a 4l60e trans.