Corvette Steering Box Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LML Duramax 95 Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't much care for the sloppy, slow ratio, unresponsive steering in our beloved GMT400s. Has anyone ever swapped a cars steering box in or heard of it? In theory it would work to just swap the box but I'm no expert on the matter so I thought I'd ask. I was thinking obviously a Corvette steering box would be a much quicker ratio and far more responsive so if that could be put in place of the stocker, I feel that would work great. I'm a welder so I'm not opposed to fabrication work either. Any insight is appreciated

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
You're asking for a roll over at that point. Taller tires, higher center of gravity, tighter turn ratio... spells disaster. Don't do it, imo.

Last edited:

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Somehow I'm pretty sure that if you drive the vehicle appropriately for the new steering system; you wouldn't roll over...
Well appropriately and out of your control, are two different things. Where I live, deer and elk will jump out right in front of you on the highway. One quick jerk and it's roll over you go.

Again, just IMO. Let us know how it works out if you do it.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
You can get a quicker ratio steering box from a truck that has the ZQ8 rpo code, thats for the "Sport Chassis Package", all SS454s and most of the Sport Trucks came with that package. Just check your glove box to make sure you don't already have it, but I doubt it.

LML Duramax 95 Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get a quicker ratio steering box from a truck that has the ZQ8 rpo code, thats for the "Sport Chassis Package", all SS454s and most of the Sport Trucks came with that package. Just check your glove box to make sure you don't already have it, but I doubt it.

Oh okay cool. I have ZQ2 and ZQ3 but those are just convience packages.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
If you go to Advance Auto.com or wherever, they should have in the notes with or without ZQ8 for the different ratios.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 on what's been said about the 454SS/Sport truck steering box. Although if your user name is accurate and you own a 4WD truck, don't do that swap. Quick ratio steering boxes are highly discouraged on 4WD trucks due to the risks @99'Subourbon mentioned. It's just not a good idea. In fact, I believe someone on here once tried to do it on a 4WD despite being told not to, and the guy at the parts store wouldn't even sell him the box when he heard it was for a 4WD truck. Q/R steering boxes and high center of gravity is a bad combo.

LML Duramax 95 Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'm honestly not sure how much higher the center of gravity is because I've sat my Z71 next to a plain old 1993 2WD W/T and I don't sit but maybe 3 inches higher tops. Forget the quicker ratio for a minute, what can be done to get the ridiculous amount of slop out of the steering? Right now it's more of a safety hazard than the quick ratio because the deadzone is huge.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Checked for play in all your front end parts? Checked all your bushings? EVO sensor operating correctly if applicable? Any play in your steering shaft?

Once you check all that stuff, if the problem is still there, THEN I'd start to think about replacing the steering box. (With a factory unit)

In regards to the ride height difference between 2WD and 4WD, that 3 or so inches makes a huge difference. My 2WD truck drives entirely different than my 4WD. Not to mention the front suspension setups are completely different.