Corvette Steering Box Swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
You can get a quicker ratio steering box from a truck that has the ZQ8 rpo code, thats for the "Sport Chassis Package", all SS454s and most of the Sport Trucks came with that package. Just check your glove box to make sure you don't already have it, but I doubt it.

they no longer make them

If you go to Advance Auto.com or wherever, they should have in the notes with or without ZQ8 for the different ratios.

we also do not carry that listing anymore. cardone doesnt make the truck quick ratio box but you can easily make you own with a spare f body box and a rebuild kit from your truck one. the zq8 boxes were disconitunued as far as truck application because who really replaced much of them.

theres only 4 boxes used for replacement within the span of our truck 10 year run.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i took my spare iroc box and removed the guts stuffed them in my yukons box and rebuilt it. that with a yj shaft and heims and i could turn my truck with a hardon. theres literally no play, and it turns on a dime but its sensitive at the same time. i havent had any complaints from others who have dirven it about it being to touchy but if i wanted to cut the wheel quick all the way i could and could potentially destroy my truck

FL0WL0W

Reaction score
@df2x4 and alot of these people on here are completely right. your steering slop NEEDS to be fixed before you ever change the box! i got my slop completely out by replacing pitman and idler arms as well as checking the ball joints and tie rods after which i adjusted the box and it had no more slop. but I was just craving more steering feedback in my steering. and i think that's another thing that maybe adds to the fact that it doesnt make it more dangerous to put a qr box in a 4wd. it makes the steering a bit harder to turn and have more feedback which makes you not jerk as much in a panic situation. also in a panic situation you should train yourself not to jerk anyway. my truck is a 4wd 2500. something i was told NOT to put a QR box in but the only trouble ive had is with these autoparts stores ****** ps pumps. i also added a ps cooler which brought the temps down lower than they were with a stock box.