Convertor stall and you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
exactly, just saying a 2200 stall is good for anything thats like this is assinine, you need something that functions with your power and operating range as well as your driving purpose and habits, and then with a stall comes more heat build up, which may not be much but theres significance, alot more variables.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your best bet is to talk with a company like monster trans or other reputable trans places. They will be able to direct you to someone that knows their stuff other than the internet gurus. Not saying the internet gurus don't know their stuf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Too much to type out on a nexus 7. Grab a coffee and watch:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXgSttKLsHs

Lockup and stall speed are two very different things.

At the risknof oversimplifing it, you chose a higher stall speed to allow an engine to produce more power before applying it to the transmission/drive wheels.

Great for the dragstrip, sucks @$$ in a daily driver.

Friend of mine once had a 71 Z28. Had himself convinced he wanted a 3500 converter. I tried to tell him why it wasn't a good idea. Didn't listen but went with a 3000 instead. Worked great on weekend stoplight contests (well, would have if he could drive worth a hill of beans). No one would get in the damned thing with him the rest of the week. Total dog in daily driving at best, way too abusive to be in at worse.

Women hated the damned thing. They enjoyed my Mustang Mach I Cleveland/C6 with the OEM converter much more. I could pretty much spank him at the stoplights when I wanted to also.

:)

Not the effect he was after......:rofl:

Last edited:

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Too much to type out on a nexus 7. Grab a coffee and watch:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXgSttKLsHs

Lockup and stall speed are two very different things.

At the risknof oversimplifing it, you chose a higher stall speed to allow an engine to produce more power before applying it to the transmission/drive wheels.

Great for the dragstrip, sucks @$$ in a daily driver.

Friend of mine once had a 71 Z28. Had himself convinced he wanted a 3500 converter. I tried to tell him why it wasn't a good idea. Didn't listen but went with a 3000 instead. Worked great on weekend stoplight contests (well, would have if he could drive worth a hill of beans). No one would get in the damned thing with him the rest of the week. Total dog in daily driving at best, way too abusive to be in at worse.

Women hated the damned thing. They enjoyed my Mustang Mach I Cleveland/C6 with the OEM converter much more. I could pretty much spank him at the stoplights when I wanted to also.

:)

Not the effect he was after......:rofl:
So what you're saying is that as long as my engine doesnt idle at stall speed, I dont have to change my torque converter?

And also, I remember hearing there was a difference between a stall converter and, I think it was called, a lockout converter. I'd have to rummage through all my bookmarks for the write-up/video.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that as long as my eJue doesnt idle at stall speed, I dont have to change my torque converter?

And also, I remember hearing there was a difference between a stall converter and, I think it was called, a lockout converter. I'd have to rummage through all my bookmarks for the write-up/video.

You must be registered for see images

No, none of what you said is even close to being right.....watch the video a couple more times. Take notes if you have to.

Every torque converter has a stall speed. They wouldn't function if they didn't. Where that stall speed is depends on a multitude of factors from engine characteristics, to vehicle weight to intended use of the vehicle.

Not all converters have a lockup feature, although most modern day ones do.

Two very different things. As I already said.....and is explained in the video link.

Last edited:

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

No, none of what you said is even close to being right.....watch the video a couple more times. Take notes if you have to.

Every torque converter has a stall speed. They wouldn't function if they didn't. Where that stall speed is depends on a multitude of factors from engine characteristics, to vehicle weight to intended operation uses.

When someone says "I have a stall converter" like its something special, they're just showing everyone how much they really don't know. I just tend to know and smile, let them finish and then shake my head as I walk away....

Not all have a lockup feature, although most modern day ones do.

Two very different things. As I already said.....
First, I admitted I could be wrong. Second, why would I want a higher stall speed. Wouldnt it be better to keep it low, that way more of the engine power goes into the wheels? Or does the torque converter not effect that and it just effects how early in the RPM range the wheels see power? Which is why 3500 is better for strip but not street.

What I cant figure out, is how stall exactly works. That video is informative, but somewhat vague to me. Let's take two absolutely identical vehicles. But one has 2500 stall and the other has a 3500 stall. How does that stall effect daily driving? Does the engine HAVE to spin at stall speed before the transmission sees ANY power? I interpreted the video to say that stall speed is the maximum speed at which the engine can spin while the transmission isnt spinning.

Another the video wasnt clear, to me, about, was how the stator assembly works. It activates when there's a difference in speeds between the impeller and the turbine, and allows the impeller to spin easier, but the impeller shouldnt have a problem spinning since it's dependent on the engine speed. The turbine is the slower spinning component in the equation. Why would I want the engine RPMs to go higher, thus increasing the speed difference and increasing friction (thus heat) in the converter?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ifrst, I admitted I could be wrong. Second, why would I want a higher stall speed. Wouldnt it be better to keep it low, that way more of the engine power goes into the wheels? Or does the torque converter not effect that and it just effects how early in the RPM range the wheels see power? Which is why 3500 is better for strip but not street.

What I cant figure out, is how stall exactly works. That video is informative, but somewhat vague to me. Let's take two absolutely identical vehicles. But one has 2500 stall and the other has a 3500 stall. How does that stall effect daily driving? Does the engine HAVE to spin at stall speed before the transmission sees ANY power? I interpreted the video to say that stall speed is the maximum speed at which the engine can spin while the transmission isnt spinning.

Another the video wasnt clear, to me, about, was how the stator assembly works. It activates when there's a difference in speeds between the impeller and the turbine, and allows the impeller to spin easier, but the impeller shouldnt have a problem spinning since it's dependent on the engine speed. The turbine is the slower spinning component in the equation. Why would I want the engine RPMs to go higher, thus increasing the speed difference and increasing friction (thus heat) in the converter?

The video was very clear and very basic.

First year technical stuff for guys right out of high school....the guy in the video is a tech school teacher.

If that's not simple enough, I can't help you.

Best just to leave it to your mechanic or speed shop to do it for you.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The video was very clear and very basic.

First year technical stuff for guys right out of high school....the guy in the video is a tech school teacher.

If that's not simple enough, I can't help you.

Best just to leave it to your mechanic or speed shop to do it for you.
So instead of telling me where I'm misunderstanding it, you're just telling me to go get bent and let someone screw me over?