Convertor stall and you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So instead of telling me where I'm misunderstanding it, you're just telling me to go get bent and let someone screw me over?

No, you're getting that wrong too.

If you didn't get it from that video, you're probably not going to get it.

No shame in that, some people just don't have a head for it.

Those people need to find an expert to do it for them.

I'm done with this. Get abusive with someone else. There's no explaining it to you, I've gone through this with you before on other subjects.

You want someone to do the work for you and tell you what to buy on some theoretical example when you don't even get the basics. You want someone to put the silver spoon in your mouth. I'm not that guy. Go pay someone to do that for you. Lots of good shops out there that will be happy to do that for you.

Back on the iggy list you go.

L8tr.

Last edited:

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is what I understand from the video.

Torque converter housing is bolted to flexplate. Converter housing is the impeller itself. As the impeller spins, it throws/pushes fluid toward/into the turbine. As fluid hits the turbine, the turbine spins and the fluid flows through the turbine and changes direction into the stator. The stator throws fluid, at a right angle, into the impeller, allowing it to spin easier. Fluid passes through the impeller and around back into the turbine. That creates a cycle.

As the cycle increases in speed, the turbine speed increases, and increases speed in the input shaft of the transmission. At a predetermined RPM, the fluid pump within the transmission reverses flow and instead the pressure holding the clutch plate against the backside of the turbine, the pressure holds the clutch against the housing, thus allowing a 1:1 RPM ratio into the transmission, eliminating the potential for the heat generating speed difference between the impeller and the turbine.

The part I'm fuzzy about is the point of the stator. It increases the pressure into the rotation of the impeller (causing it to spin easier/faster) but not the pressure through the impeller (which would push against the turbine harder). So that in itself causes a speed difference.

Also, where in that does it say how stall speed affects driveability?

His description of loading the engine with your foot on the brake and stalling out at 2500 RPM, leads me to believe that as transmission speed increases, the stall speed should, in theory, increases. So a higher stall would just mean a greater potential difference between engine speed and transmission speed.

So that leads me to think that the only advantage to a high stall would be that you can launch from a higher RPM on the strip, which would be useless in daily driving.

And that video may be enough for you. But he is speaking generally, which is a good baseline. But until I can form a fully functional example to base all that general information on, it's just information.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
forget how a stall works internally for a second, as far as driveability is concerned then here. a stall acts as it states it stalls your vehicle from moving or your torque converter from grabbing to a certain rpm and then takes off. why is it needed? if you have a very very built engine and trans your vehicle will need totally different characteristics to perform and iut has a certain rpm range where the meshing of engine parts comes together and a stall accents that power curve.

a stall should never play with your idle, idle is idle if a stall messes with that then you have bigger issues.

say your at a red light, a stock tbi truck will rev to about 1200 rpm or something along those lines before it starts to move, where as if you had a 3000 stall, youd need to rev the engine for the vehicle to move because the torque converter grabs at that higher RPM.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So basically, from a red light, stall is how high the RPMs have to get before I see actual power rather than just idling forward? So a high stall with a low RPM range engine is bad for power because the engine would live too far from stall speed? I would have to almost always keep the RPMs higher?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
your truck is stock, your truck is setup in stock form right where you need to take off.

now take example a drag car at a light they have their foot on the gas, high rpms till the light turns and they go for it because they have an entirely different power range, their power range for example is at the likes of 3000- whatever instead of 1000-4500rpm get it? if you had a 3k stall in a stock tbi or vortec truck it would be an entire slug, waste a crap load of gas and be a pain in the ass to drive because in order to take off youd have to have your foot on the gas till you hit 3000 rpm and then itd take off like a bat out of hell.

it doesnt add power, it lets your vehicle take off within its power range if you have a built engine.

a low rpm engine isnt bad for power, its just not built to have its power range start at 3000 instead a stock trucks power range starts at say 1200 to whatever your rev limiter is set at. keep in mind that engines with higher stalls are also built to handle the excessive RPMs as well. driveability comes into play because your wasting gas footing it to a higher rpm to take off at each light, its a nuisance and not street friendly for many people.

bottom line if you have a stock truck you dont need a stall.....period

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I meant in my last post. Gotcha now.

Now how do I know when I should upgrade stall as I upgrade engine? As in, how will the vehicle act if I have too low of a stall for the power I have.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
go on summit for the hell of it, start looking at random cams youll see the power ranges they have examples 1800-6000 or 3000-9000 catch my drift, really depends how you build your engine, what cam, compression, what the use of the vehicle is, wha gearing etc etc etc.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To give you an example I'll use my engine. My engine makes it's big hp and torque numbers from 3500 to 5600 rpms. I put a 2200-2500 stall in it. I didn't want to do a 3000 stall because as soon as I leave I'll be near my max power and will blow the tires off. Stalls are something you want to look into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
basically what polar said, stalls are tricky theres a lot to look into other than hwo far you want it to rev before take off. its not one of those things you cna put in there to be cool, its serves a purpose, reminds me of the thread where the dude put a dingle plane manifold on a tbi truck and he couldnt get it to run right because there wasnt the proper vacuum. he did it cause it looked cool, it functioned like .