Common Abbreviations Found on the Forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
i think someone needs to Sticky this
TQ= torque converter
TBI=throttle body injected pre vortec
1500= halfton
2500=3/4 ton
TD=turbo diesel

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This should be something mandatory to know if you work at a parts store. It's obviously not...
Isn't that there little computer thing supposed to know that? Anywho, I always thought it designated option groups. I always thought K series trucks didn't have all the bells and whistles and C series had leather, power everything, etc. Oops. Learning!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are the common terms that most of the forums these days go by. The thing is, in 2050 when we have the NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNBS it will be confusing.

The proper way to refer to them as is...

GMT400 (88-98)
GMT800 (99-06)
GMT900 (07+)

THIS!!!!....I can't stand the NBS, OBS, NNBS, etc usages....using the GMT codes that GM does is the most accurate and future proof way to describe a body style....or if referring to older trucks before GM used the GMT designations, just use the year, people know what a '56 chevy truck looks like, but referring to it as an OOOOOBS would be ludicrous.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
i think someone needs to Sticky this
TQ= torque converter
TBI=throttle body injected pre vortec
1500= halfton
2500=3/4 ton
TD=turbo diesel

Usually TC means torque converter. Haha TQ just means torque.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-