Choices to make, experience needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
The small interaction I had with Brian Harris, I cannot say I was impressed either. He seemed condescending in his replies via email, however, I did buy a few key parts to complete the tbi mods from him.
His replies led me to use the tuner I mentioned above. I have read multiple posts about people that weren’t happy with his services either.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would either find a local builder with a decent reputation or go through GM or Blueprint. I've heard bad things about ATK and Jasper, I'd rather get a running motor from a junkyard and put it in as-is than spend a bunch of money on an engine that may or may not last.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has ANYONE seen the results of a dyno test of the swirl-port heads vs. Vortec or other known quantity in the cylinder-head world?

I have not. I don't know of anyone who's bothered to run them on a dyno. The whole world assumes that they're junk...I'm inclined to agree. Blocking half the intake port with a ski-jump may make for better combustion, but it's going to produce crappy breathing.

I put similar (L-29) ski-jump "Vortec" heads on a 454, and was unimpressed. Strike that. I was actually disappointed.

There's a thousand builds using SBC Vortec heads, and basically none using the swirl-ports. I think there's a reason for that.

You might want to verify the "small print" of any crate-engine warranty. Do they pay to R&R if it fails? Do they pay shipping of the failed engine? Who decides if the engine is truly covered by warranty?

Builders with a good reputation on another Chevy forum I spend time with:

Vortecpro
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/members/37912-vortecpro.html

Lewis Racing Engines
http://www.lewisracingengines.com/

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has ANYONE seen the results of a dyno test of the swirl-port heads vs. Vortec or other known quantity in the cylinder-head world?

I have not. I don't know of anyone who's bothered to run them on a dyno. The whole world assumes that they're junk...I'm inclined to agree. Blocking half the intake port with a ski-jump may make for better combustion, but it's going to produce crappy breathing.

I put similar (L-29) ski-jump "Vortec" heads on a 454, and was unimpressed. Strike that. I was actually disappointed.

There's a thousand builds using SBC Vortec heads, and basically none using the swirl-ports. I think there's a reason for that.

You might want to verify the "small print" of any crate-engine warranty. Do they pay to R&R if it fails? Do they pay shipping of the failed engine? Who decides if the engine is truly covered by warranty?

Builders with a good reputation on another Chevy forum I spend time with:

Vortecpro
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/members/37912-vortecpro.html

Lewis Racing Engines
http://www.lewisracingengines.com/

Tested both years ago in a 1992 C1500 with a stock Vortec roller camshaft in a modified TBI engine. Both used an Edelbrock 4bbl performer carb intake. Both had long tube headers and 2.5 to single 3" exhaust system with a highflow cat and magnaflow. Both tests were run using a modified bored OEM TBI unit. Both had timing and fueling dialed in to run as well as possible.

TBI heads made more torque EVERYWHERE under 4,500 rpm. Vortec heads pulled ahead to make 15 HP at the tires more peak to peak. TBI heads peaked at 4,500 rpm with the Vortec cam. The Vortec heads peaked at 5,000 rpm. At 5,500 rpm fuel kill the TBI heads were about 30 HP at the wheels down from Vortecs. In the 2,500 rpm range the Vortec heads were down nearly 20 ft/lbs of torque.

Last edited:

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
JCribb,

I've picked up on that same condescension via email myself. The thing that I found funny was something he said in the last email to me: "If you wanted more power then you should have bought a more powerful engine to start with."

What a strange thing to say coming from someone who runs a site dedicated to these engines...
And not that he owes me anything, but I made a hefty donation for his troubles based on only a few emails that we swapped. I've moved on from the TBI so it doesn't matter anyway. I was going to respond with some smart-ass comment, but that wouldn't be very mature or accomplish anything.

Regardless, I'm looking at the Blueprint engines now. For the same price as I'd pay for the HP94 from ATK, I can get pretty much the same engine from Blueprint, with a much better reputation to go with it. Still got some time to research and decide though.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tested both years ago in a 1992 C1500 with a stock Vortec roller camshaft in a modified TBI engine. Both used an Edelbrock 4bbl performer carb intake. Both had long tube headers and 2.5 to single 3" exhaust system with a highflow cat and magnaflow. Both tests were run using a modified bored OEM TBI unit. Both had timing and fueling dialed in to run as well as possible.

TBI heads made more torque EVERYWHERE under 4,500 rpm. Vortec heads pulled ahead to make 15 HP at the tires more peak to peak. TBI heads peaked at 4,500 rpm with the Vortec cam. The Vortec heads peaked at 5,000 rpm. At 5,500 rpm fuel kill the TBI heads were about 30 HP at the wheels down from Vortecs. In the 2,500 rpm range the Vortec heads were down nearly 20 ft/lbs of torque.

You wouldn't happen to recall what those numbers actually were, do you?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to recall what those numbers actually were, do you?

It was about 200 hp @ 4,500 RPM and the Vortecs were 215 hp @ 5,000. Keep in mind that was with the stock Vortec 191/196 @ .050 roller cam. The TBI heads fell off to 170 HP @ 5,500 rpm and the Vortecs were still making 200 hp @ 5,500. Torque peak for both was about 2,500-3,000 with the TBI heads making about 290 TQ and the Vortecs about 275. The TBI heads peaked earlier in both HP and TQ but fell off drastically up top. If you never ran the engine above about 4,500 rpm I would run the swirl ports.