Choices to make, experience needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I had to look at the map to see if the shop I used to use was still in business. I used Grahams mechanic shop on Kraft street. If they can’t, they may know someone who can.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so after having thought long and hard, and looking at costs vs wants and actual needs, I’m going to go with a 383 stroker engine built by the same guy on EBay. I don’t need as much power as the big block was going to be providing, and even though it would be fun, I can’t justify that expense. So the stroker will save me around $2k, and it still will be a very respectable engine.

I will still try to look up that shop you mentioned to see if they are able to help me out. Thanks for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Additionally, my wife and I have decided to trade in our bigger TT for something smaller and more campy, rather than luxurious, if that makes sense. Therefore, I shouldn’t need the big block power. I could probably simply go with a stock rebuild at this point and be okay, but like that’s gonna happen[emoji57]

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Additionally, my wife and I have decided to trade in our bigger TT for something smaller and more campy, rather than luxurious, if that makes sense. Therefore, I shouldn’t need the big block power. I could probably simply go with a stock rebuild at this point and be okay, but like that’s gonna happen[emoji57]

Brothers don’t let brothers go stock, because you would hate yourself for not modding it to begin with. If I was any closer (currently 3.5 hours from Campbell), I would just help you swap it out at the on post mechanic shop. I did I clutch there once.

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
slowburb, what are your suggestions for aftermarket induction if you don’t mind?

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Yeah 454 prices and aftermarket have just gone insane these past few years. I had a 454 1/2 ton square body and it was the bees knees. I'd love to recreate that setup in my C1500 but the problem is most aftermarket has gotten pretty pricey, and when you get down to a price to performance stand point, the 6.0 is a much better option for both performance and towing. But realistically, the 383 will suit your needs. A 4L80E will be a great choice for transmission, and re-gearing your rear is a must.

Best of luck to you!

blackhawk17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve looked at the Holley Sniper and that’s the way I’d like to go. I am a little concerned about emissions though. This truck is my daily and I don’t want to end up having to spend more to get compliant if the Army ever moves me to where we HAVE to get smog tested, etc.