Chime for headlight and key in ignition doesn't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Problem: when I open the door with the key in the ignition or when I leave my lights on the chime does not do anything.

I've only had my truck about 6 weeks and this has already bit me twice! Luckily both times in my driveway :lol: I'm assuming there's a module that I need to replace to fix this. Does anyone know the name of the module and it's location (and possibly a part number)? I'm assuming under the dash but I have not gotten down there to look yet as it's just now getting warm enough to do anything outside for longer than 5 minutes :D

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?17190-My-1996-C1500

Read through that thread a little. It's just to the right of your parking brake pedal on the fuse block. Right side of it, large box with speaker holes in the side. Just unplugs. I would just pick one up from a salvage yard instead of buying a new one.
I hate the annoying buzzer that comes in them - I've put Camaro chimes in both of ours. I may have an extra if you're interested - I'd have to check.
I'm always digging around the local junkyards lol

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?17190-My-1996-C1500

Read through that thread a little. It's just to the right of your parking brake pedal on the fuse block. Right side of it, large box with speaker holes in the side. Just unplugs.
I hate the annoying buzzer that comes in them - I've put Camaro chimes in both of ours.

cool! Thanks for that link. It's good to know that other Chime Modules will work and doesn't have to be specific to GMT400 :) That thread did not pop up when I did my search :lol:

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
A previous owner may have just unplugged it.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A previous owner may have just unplugged it.

Definitely possible. I need to crawl in there and see. Right now I'm trying to Google for some part numbers on this so that I can locate a new one.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies guys! I went ahead and grabbed a Camaro chime off eBay.

Ladyzm18

Reaction score
Got a part number for the Camaro chime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunttman01

resident sh't starter
Reaction score
I've never heard someone complain about the chime being disabled before. ..

sent from Rustbucket

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've never heard someone complain about the chime being disabled before. ..

sent from Rustbucket

I'd rather be annoyed by a chime than come out to a truck with a dead battery or keys locked in it because of my stupidity :lol: If it's already happened to me twice (1 dead battery and 1 key locked in truck) in just 6 weeks it will happen many more times in the future unless I get it fixed :D