Cheapest Parts/Upgrades For a Smoother Ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterM

Reaction score
Got almost 120k on my 20 year old truck and it's starting to develop a bit of a rocky ride. Wondering what cheaper (under $200) suspension, steering, and stabilizing parts or upgrades can bump up the quality of my ride. Wondering if cheap stuff like end links and pitman arms, maybe new bushings in places will make any bit of a difference. Eventually getting new shocks (got 10 year old ranchos on there now, previous owner had them sitting on for a while so they're not the best quality) but that's coming later. Any help would be great, thanks.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
shocks could be a good start, the rocky ride as you call it, wouldn't really have much to do with your steering or front end components... maybe ball joints? say bar links could be a problem...

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Shocks would probably be your best bet. Also check tire pressures, too much pressure will give you a rougher ride.

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea ive replaced everything practically underneath the front end of my truck (89 C1500) but the shocks I got on sale at Rock auto an they suck. Ride rough an everything.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I understand the not wanting to over spend but suspension/steering parts is not an area you wanna cheap out on. Spend a little extra and get good quality parts. They'll last longer and ride much better

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I understand the not wanting to over spend but suspension/steering parts is not an area you wanna cheap out on. Spend a little extra and get good quality parts. They'll last longer and ride much better

This x9000

MisterM

Reaction score
I understand shocks are going to my best bet for improved ride quality but I guess what I was asking is what other parts can I replace Along with the shocks to improve my ride?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, "rocky ride" isn't very descriptive.

Is it harsh on bumps?

Does it vibrate?

Does it kick you around on washboards?

Does it feel rough or abrupt? On what road surfaces?

Etc.....

In general, Moog problem solver parts tighten things up and are long lasting.

Rubber bushings in the suspension go bad with nothing else but time and simply installing new ones makes it "factory fresh" again.

Shocks and tires are a huge part of NVH. Steel rims tend to go out of true over time and also make for rough running.

even an alignment can change ride quality.

All this being said: it's a pickup truck that was designed in the late 80's. They rattle, they bang and they chop.

It's only ever going to be so smooth and steering is only going to be so precise. It will never ride as good as a newer vehicle becasue the technology involved has changed. By that I mean the truck suspension design itself, not something like a shock absorber or a tie rod.

You can make it ride a good as a new GMT400 though. That's just maintenance and replacing worn out components.

"Cheap" is not a word that figures into the line above.....

:)

MisterM

Reaction score
It's mostly just really harsh on any type of bump in the road or any sort of off roading.

I don't expect it to be perfect I was just wondering what most people replaced or upgraded within their stock suspension components that made any bit of a difference. (Which parts go bad before others etc)

I'm basically asking what parts typically are in serious need of replacing around 120,000 rather than taking apart my truck and looking at each piece specifically.

My friend had told me he replaced his pitman arms, end links, and one other small part on his 1999 silverado with about 160,000 and it rides pretty nice in rough conditions. I know my truck doesn't have the same suspension but Im just curious as to what parts i can replace to get that "factory fresh" feeling and which parts last much longer.

Thanks for the recommendation to moog, they seem to have everything I would ever need to get me back to "factory fresh". Still unsure as to what the best parts to replace first would be though. Appreciate the responses and sorry for being unclear with my questions