Catalytic converter question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First timer here, the cats on my 98 GMC need to be replaced, I was wondering if there was any feedback on the high-flow stainless magnflow converters versus the off brand replacements. Is it worth the extra $100.

Right now I am only replacing the cats so that I can erase the check engine light to pass state inspection, but I anticipate addressing the entire system with a set of headers and cat back in the future.
Right now all my money is tied up in collecting SAS parts.

Thanks

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ive replaced my cats 3 times cus i went the cheaper ones. finely went with oe replacements and its been 5 years with no isues. you get what you pay for

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The "thats what you pay for" has always been my approach to anything, automotive or not. I got 200K miles out of the stocker and would simply put in the stock unit, the magnaflow was price point the same, quicker to get and has the added "performance aspect"

Any proven (ie. dyno supported) power increase results? I googled but did not find anything concrete

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
The "thats what you pay for" has always been my approach to anything, automotive or not. I got 200K miles out of the stocker and would simply put in the stock unit, the magnaflow was price point the same, quicker to get and has the added "performance aspect"

Any proven (ie. dyno supported) power increase results? I googled but did not find anything concrete

Most higher flowing cats are simply not as effective at 'cleaning' the emissions, they do flow more but if your barely passing your emissions tests I wouldnt chance a high flow cat.

I'm running no cats currently but also have no emissions tests