cat delete or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy power

Reaction score
I have a 1998 chevy z71 with the vortec 350. im running pretty much everything stock but the 2 40 series flowmasters the truck came factory with duals up to the stock muffler. then i replaced the stock with 2 flowmasters making it dual all the way back. one of my cats is going out. i live in fl anfd emmisions is not an issue. the truck sounds great as is. i was wondering how much louder will it be if i just remove the cats. and will i gain some horsepower?also will adding an x pipe or h pipe balance out my exhaust flow? where would the x or h go? not worried about the mil ill just get the eliminator.

Last edited:

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not sure how it would be without cats...I know there is a noticeable sound difference between my stock cats and the magnaflow hi-flow cats..

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didnt think they were too bad...my buddy has a shop locally and got them in next day for me for like $350...it was my first converter change in nearly 300k so I wasnt too upset

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
You won't get any noticeable gains in HP by taking the cats off. You'd probably be better off putting Magnaflow cats on it and calling it a day.

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also Im not sure which it was...whether my cats were that clogged or whether the hi-flow cats helped...or a combination of the two...but it was a real decent power increase at the pedal. I definitely noticed it not popping in and out of OD near as much and the shifts were even snappier than they were before..

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
I had high flow cats, then removed them all for straight pipe, and i personally like it a lot better. Little bit of power, a lot more sound.

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
now that the truck is lifed i kind of want more sound.

i hear ya lol.....before my current magnaflow setup i had the flowmaster cat back...it was way too quiet...i went and took out the "suv" trash can that came with the kit and swapped it to a flowmaster 40 series..dumped it just before the rear wheel...looked and sounded bad ass...but it was getting rusty and leaking which is why i went to a stainless setup...the magnaflow doesnt have the muscle car sound like my previous exhaust but it does have a nice smooth "tuned" sound.