cat delete or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP, keep the OEM cats or pick up a set of Magnaflow Spun cats. You have to have them for legality (even in a non-emissions state regardless of what Bubba says at the exhaust shop) and they don't rob a bit of power. Also, everyone who doesn't have to huff putrid exhaust fumes courtesy of reformulated gasoline in traffic will thank you.[/QUOTE]

A very very long run on sentence!!!!!

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's going to get much louder put on some high flow cats don't mess up the ozone more PLEASE im hugging a tree right now. LOL

cdhoustonusmc

Reaction score
Hey I also have a 98 k1500 Z/71 with a rebuilt 350 and a cam 4L60E with a GM Corvette Servo and Billet 4th gear servo. I dropped my intermediate pipe and got rid of the cats. I notice the engine seems to reve quicker is more responsive instead of the delay it had earlier.
Also seems to have picked a couple miles to gallon. The truck also sounds a little quieter at idle too. That has been my experience.

cdhoustonusmc

Reaction score
I have 98 K1500 Z/71 w/rebuilt 350 w/cam ,GM Vette 2nd gear servo and Superior billet 4th gear super servo, and I dropped my intermediate pipe and got rid of the cats and have notice a difference. Seemed engine reved quicker more throttle response and picked a couple miles to gallon too. Also engine seems to be quieter at idle.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
It's going to get much louder put on some high flow cats don't mess up the ozone more PLEASE im hugging a tree right now. LOL

Any modern catalytic converter (generally 97-onward) is already high flow and won't affect power output one bit. You know we don't have emission laws for ***** and giggles. Come to China with me on my next trip and my point will be proven.

Hey I also have a 98 k1500 Z/71 with a rebuilt 350 and a cam 4L60E with a GM Corvette Servo and Billet 4th gear servo. I dropped my intermediate pipe and got rid of the cats. I notice the engine seems to reve quicker is more responsive instead of the delay it had earlier.
Also seems to have picked a couple miles to gallon. The truck also sounds a little quieter at idle too. That has been my experience.

Your correlation does not imply causation.

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Mod edit: This post is completely uncalled for. lets grow up people.

Last edited by a moderator:

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I will need to replace my cat before I smog it next. It's just a pain trying to find some cats that are legal in CA.

ajbullins313

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine were clogged and the MIL light was on for insufficient flow and I just cut the pipes, beat the bricks out of them, welded em back up. After looking at the brick material it was covered in black residue, they were about 75% Clogged. After removing them my truck idles better, there is a noticeable sound increase, and I would like to say it's more drivable. Not a day and night difference. But that fix worked for my 98 at 120,000 miles. And yes, I would have loved some hi-flow cats, but I was strapped for the $$$ at the time and gutting them was cheap peace of mind because I had just gotten the truck and didn't want my valves getting warped from the heat. Eventually i'd like to get some new cats when the time comes to replace the whole shabang.

If yours are not giving you problems, dont mess with them. They are designed to keep Nitrogen levels down. Yes I know the atmosphere is mostly nitrogen anyways but look at Chris said and google a little of Mexico city Smog and similar environmental freak shows in China.

Environmentally, I'd rather have no cats than a totally ruined motor. It takes a lot of energy, materials, and man power to produce one.

Last edited: