cat delete or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will get louder without the cats. Hard to say how much though. My truck is louder than my buddies, he still has his cat with a flowmaster 40. I have no cats and turbo mufflers....

As for the h or x it doesn't really matter. either has to be in the right spot to work properly. An h will give you more torque, an x will give more horsepower. Your only talking about 1-2 HP/tq so its really not worth the extra cost and install trouble IMO....

Chevyguy78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 305 but I pulled my cat w/ 2 40 series flows and its not bad at all. Im running a 3" x pipe and its throaty but not loud in the cab. Im only runnin 2.25 inch pipes. I was told 2.5" would make it alot louder and drone alot in the cab.

florida-boy

Reaction score
ok. so i got a 98' k1500 z71 stock exhaust, looking into the dual straight 40 flows, if i went to a shop and told them i want that , would i be getting ripped off or what? cheaper to buy em then have someone do it?
do i need other stuff? like new cats or pipes?
just getting into all this as you can see...

chevy power

Reaction score
i definently dont want the drone nside the cab, ill probly just have them removed for now and if its to loud or annoying just buy the hi flow mags and put em on. i also looking into the flow tech shorty headers from summit BIG-91832-1FLT im thinking with the headers and 2 original 40 series flows,no cats and true duals it will sound sweet! thanks for the input guys

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would not go without cats. They are required to be on I do believe regardless if you have emission checks or not.Thunderbolt is a great cat and for cheap. I've had them on my '94 for over 4 years. And they hardly affect sound at all. I have a 305 in my CJ8 and didnt have cats for a week. After they were on, I noticed absolutely no sound or power difference. My '94 has a V6 with dual exhaust and Flowmaster 40s. My CJ8 has headers and Cherry Bomb Extremes

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
So I hacked my cat off and ran the dual flowmasters that came on the truck then had to put the cat back a year later for emissions so I deleted the mufflers that came on the truck and ran a single in dual out 40 and it sounds almost identical to the none cat set up I had

chevy power

Reaction score
oh ok and where can i get the thunderbolt cats? summit does not carry i believe

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know, the exhaust shop I go to sells them. I've seen them online thOugh.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
So I hacked my cat off and ran the dual flowmasters that came on the truck then had to put the cat back a year later for emissions so I deleted the mufflers that came on the truck and ran a single in dual out 40 and it sounds almost identical to the none cat set up I had

What in Earth did I just read?

OP, keep the OEM cats or pick up a set of Magnaflow Spun cats. You have to have them for legality (even in a non-emissions state regardless of what Bubba says at the exhaust shop) and they don't rob a bit of power. Also, everyone who doesn't have to huff putrid exhaust fumes courtesy of reformulated gasoline in traffic will thank you.