can ya remove egr on an 88 tbi w/o working on the computer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh yea good point, you got it tho my base is too far advanced. I had to do that to get it to run right, but I never adjusted it back down. I been going to try and see if it runs ok, but haven't got to it yet.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The one thing nice about a classic ford engine.....the dist is right there up front, easy to get to/adjust while running.....especially helpful on a lifted vehicle :p

tsoderstrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So swim I bought the exact same stainless ebay headers for my 94 and I was wondering if you bought a block off plate for the EGR or just plug the vacuum hose? Also I know there is already another thread for this right now but what did you use for the alternator bracket?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
used the same stuff it had for an alt. brackets I just used a spacer to make the stud work.

no I did not buy an egr plate, I made one, used one for the old carb'd setups egr plate, part number 8004 I think, had to drill the holes out and it just does cover but it doesn't leak.

I had a thread on the ebay stainless headers and pretty sure it showed my spacer.

Reaction score
I might be able to help you out. If you buy the chip adapter socket & ZIF socket, and a spare chip, mail me the chip and I'll burn you a chip with the EGR disabled.

You will need to be able to solder pretty good to 'desolder' the stock chip, and solder in an adapter socket in it's place. It's not tough, just takes time, patience and attention to detail.

I'd need to know what the BCC (broadcast code) is from the stock-chip in you truck now. This is just a series of numbers and letters to identify the various chips that were used in different applications. Mine was "ASDU 9567"
Can you burn a chip for me I have a 1988 350 tbi. I remove egr valve and smog pump stuff just wondering if you still burn chips.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you burn a chip for me I have a 1988 350 tbi
@90'rado hasn't been seen on here since Sept 2010. You can click on the poster's avatar and see when they were last seen here.

There are some guys over on GearHead-EFI.com who can still burn these old EPROMs. A couple here can but I don't think they advertise much.

Reaction score
I might be able to help you out. If you buy the chip adapter socket & ZIF socket, and a spare chip, mail me the chip and I'll burn you a chip with the EGR disabled.

You will need to be able to solder pretty good to 'desolder' the stock chip, and solder in an adapter socket in it's place. It's not tough, just takes time, patience and attention to detail.

I'd need to know what the BCC (broadcast code) is from the stock-chip in you truck now. This is just a series of numbers and letters to identify the various chips that were used in different applications. Mine was "ASDU 9567"
Do you have a number for me to reach you.

fixit

Reaction score
Do you have a number for me to reach you.
I was wondering if you could help me. 1988 k1500 with vortec engine, tbi gmmp manifold. I can not get the egr to work proper so I had a prom made with egr delete. It never ran right. Idle rpm was all over the place so I put in stock prom and it runs better but still idle problems and of course the occasional ses light. Can I get a properly programmed prom. Thanks.

fixit

Reaction score
I have done nothing. It is the 1227747 ecm and original prom now but I do not know the prom #. I can do what is necessary physically to the ecm but that is all. Thanks.