can ya remove egr on an 88 tbi w/o working on the computer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha. Sounds like a plan. I could just put a 180* AN fitting on the vent and leave it.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, but make sure it's hidden in a place that will always be dry(from rain) and clean(from dust kicked up by tires).

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea didn't think about tire dust. I think I'll just put a small fuel fitler on it and be done with it. So just so I got everything straight. Just delete the EGR (tune it out), and can I put a PCV inline of my catch can?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
When ya say catch can, ya mean the charcoal canister right? If so, then no, the pcv system would run off a 1-way valve. But if your current setup doesn't allow for the stock pcv system, then it won't kill it to not run it. I have it deleted on all my trucks, I just run valve cover breathers in the open holes leftover.

Technically, when you plug it off at the tbi, you're decreasing the air flowing into your engine at idle, but it's only by a little bit and your IAC valve should easily compensate. The pcv system is only active when the throttle plate is closed.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was talking about the PCV with the catch can. I run the valve cover lines to the catch can then a line from that to the intake for vacuum. It vents crank pressure but also keeps oil out of the intake track.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just a heads up on my thread, I blocked off my egr in my 88 k1500 tbi, and removed the air pump, and lines and I removed the charcoal can and I have NOT EVER got a check engine light from it.

Yes my check engine light works, I get a knock sensor code all the time when it's on the highway.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea I see ppl say over and over that it will, and I was expecting it, didn't care, but mine never has. I won't say for sure that anyone elses will not trigger a light, but so far mine has not.

ppl can say it's triggering the knock sensor all they want with all the talk of cooler temps, hotter temps blah blah blah, it set a spark knock sensor code before the egr was gone and now after. Whether it's due to the egr being gone I don't know, most likely I need a knock sensor, but I never hear it spark knock at all.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, it just needs the advancement readjusted so it doesn't advance as far, here's a way to test if it's your sensor or not. Run your gas out(or drain your tank), fill her up with 93.....another thing you can do is run down to a 1/4 tank, put a bottle of octane boost in, then fill her up with 93. If it still trips the knock code, it's definitely NOT your advancement settings. It's either your base timing is too far advanced(meaning it's advancing too far at highway rpm), or it's your sensor.