can ya remove egr on an 88 tbi w/o working on the computer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can I yank my egr off my 88 tbi without having to flash my computer or have it reprogrammed or a chip or something? I already removed the air pump and put on some headers to do away with the air fittings.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you truck gets smogg tested it might be a bad idea. Other than that all I can think of right now is you might see a flashing CEL or slight fuel mileage decrease.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can I yank my egr off my 88 tbi without having to flash my computer or have it reprogrammed or a chip or something? I already removed the air pump and put on some headers to do away with the air fittings.

If you remove the EGR, you need to address it in the chip. Otherwise the ECM will be confused and start throwin codes. To do this, you have to change the EGR on and off constants to 254 MPH once you're in the chip.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I can't work on chips or anything.

Reason I wanted to remove it is why have it? I don't like emission stuff, there's no testing here at all period, and it cleans up the engine bay with less crap in there. I already removed the smog pump, truck has not cats on it. I just figured I'd remove it and clean it up some.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might be able to help you out. If you buy the chip adapter socket & ZIF socket, and a spare chip, mail me the chip and I'll burn you a chip with the EGR disabled.

You will need to be able to solder pretty good to 'desolder' the stock chip, and solder in an adapter socket in it's place. It's not tough, just takes time, patience and attention to detail.

I'd need to know what the BCC (broadcast code) is from the stock-chip in you truck now. This is just a series of numbers and letters to identify the various chips that were used in different applications. Mine was "ASDU 9567"

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmmm sounds pretty complicated to me, not sure if I'll mess with it but if I do I'll keep that in mind. Not to mention the cost of all the stuff.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know about that, it just puts unburnt exhaust back in it I guess. I don't think it's hurting anything now, nor helping, but it may help a lil on gas.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it will not decrease MPGs. Its only function is to reduce NOx in your exhaust. By doing this, it cools the chambers, which reduces power. Except for emissions, the only benefit of it is it might allow you to run a lower octane. It also contributes to carbon in your engine.