can ya remove egr on an 88 tbi w/o working on the computer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, your EGR valve may be stuck open, which as all too common.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok so with it stuck open would that be just like running without one? or is it constantly recycling the exhaust gases? I would guess constantly huh?

If so I might have to change that SOB, I got one off an 84 I think is the same bolt pattern and what not, aint no way I'm paying $50 for a new one. I think I'd ditch it first and look at a check engine light lol.

It doesn't throw an egr code though, just 43 and that was yesterday the first time it ever threw a code. That and me finding 2 open vac. lines, or leaking I should say.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well it's for sure junk, I tried to pull vac. on it and it won't even hold vac. at all period, won't even raise up on the guage. So looks like i gotta buy one to put on it.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The previous owner told me he wired mine shut. I do get a SES light after the motor is warmed up fully and I'm cruising steady down the highway. Other than that I haven't noticed an issue.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well if the vac. line going to the egr is plugged off and my egr is stuck as I had mentioned shouldn't that throw an egr code or be the same as having it blocked off on the intake?

or as the title says egr removed?

That's how it is right now, egr is on the motor but stuck, whether it's open or shut I have no clue, and the vac. line is plugged off, truck runs and drive fine no codes.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
So much BS information in here.

Sigh. Where to start.

YES the EGR system is used to lower emissions, HOWEVER the amount of gas actually recirculated is minimal. Very minimal. Not enough to make a dent in realistic tailpipe emissions.

The main function of the egr system is to improve efficiency. At cruise the valve opens and introduces the inert exhaust gases back into the combustion chambers, in a sense taking up space that would normally be atmospheric density. That allows the mixture to be leaner. It also helps to counteract the excessive heat caused by the timing being advanced in highway cruise mode.

I'm not going to argue with you all day about it because you're obviously hard-headed on the topic at hand.

Now as far as you having no SES light, can you verify the bulb isn't blown in the cluster? If it's functioning most likely you haven't reached the threshold where the EGR actually opens. Mine was fouled with deposits at one time and cycling the ignition clears the code, but after 5-10 miles at a steady 70-75mph it would come back. If you were able to view the datastream coming from the ECM you could see just how many calculations and trim corrections are involved when the EGR is active.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I can definately varify the check engine light works, because it threw a code the other day, as I had mentioned but it was code 43 I think no signal from knock sensor to the esc. I fixed that i guess, hasn't happened again.

I know I've had the thing up to where it would open, we drive about 20-30 miles on the highway to work and the same amount home, and we run 75 and higher, sometimes lower. The truck has no overdrive it's a th350 and it has a 3.42 ratio with 255/70's so I know it should get enough rpms.

R0b B0b8

Reaction score
my 92 egr is blocked off with a vac plug. it has been like this for years it runs fine with out it. mine dose not throw a code etheir

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is the egr on the intake still? Mine is and the vac. line I plugged it.

I got a new one to change mine out but I think I have to remove the esc module bracket and maybe the tbi to get enough room to get the nuts off it.