can ya remove egr on an 88 tbi w/o working on the computer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmmm sounds pretty complicated to me, not sure if I'll mess with it but if I do I'll keep that in mind. Not to mention the cost of all the stuff.

It's really not complicated at all if you know how to differentiate a soldering iron from a wrench or something. It's not free, but it's not expensive either, G2 adaptor, ZIF, and a couple chips for about $40.
http://support.moates.net/2010/05/10/g2-adapter-installation/

Just leave it, it saves gas...

Wrong.

I think it will not decrease MPGs. Its only function is to reduce NOx in your exhaust. By doing this, it cools the chambers, which reduces power. Except for emissions, the only benefit of it is it might allow you to run a lower octane. It also contributes to carbon in your engine.

Right, the only function of the EGR is emissions related and has absolutely nothing to do with fuel mileage.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can tell the difference in em and know how to use em, but I just would worry about messing something up for sure. I thought you could just buy a chip and plug it in didn't know it had to be cut loose and another put on as well as solder on a piggie back connector or whatever.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it improves engine efficiency, lowers combustion temperatures and better off idle throttle response so I am pretty sure it save some fuel.

NO, it does NOT do multiple things. The ONLY thing EGR does is lower emissions, as it has ALREADY been stated in this thread. When the EGR is activated, it pumps burnt exhaust gases back into the cylinder to be reburned, therefore leading to cleaner emissions.

If you just pull the EGR valve off and do nothing to the computer, then YES it will not run as good as it should. But, IF you remove the valve AND burn a chip with the valve disabled, the engine will run just as good, if not MORE so since the AFR isn't being diluted by spent gases. Not to mention you don't have to deal with the ridiculous carbon buildup the EGR causes.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And lower combustion temperatures isn't a good thing. You want the combustion temperautres to be almost to the edge of melting things.
And EGR typically doesn't start to work on most vehicles until 1700 RPM, so I'm not sure how you got the idea it improves off idle throttle response. Which it doesn't improve throttle response at all anyways, it only reduces NOx, adds carbon to your engine, and kills a little power.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I know for sure egr valve is exactly that exhaust gas recirculation valve, and does as mentioned and aint no way it helps off idle torque and throttle response, because we had a working one on an 84 and remove it and made absolutely no difference in the truck at all.

Back on topic, not sure, I had a check engine light come on today, gonna have to see what code it threw, we were on our way home on the highway doing about 65-70 and topping a hill and it came on, never had one on before, gonna check and see what number code it is then refference it in my book. Truck wasn't running any different, same temp. same oil pressure, ran great all the way home.

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NO, it does NOT do multiple things. The ONLY thing EGR does is lower emissions, as it has ALREADY been stated in this thread. When the EGR is activated, it pumps burnt exhaust gases back into the cylinder to be reburned, therefore leading to cleaner emissions.

If you just pull the EGR valve off and do nothing to the computer, then YES it will not run as good as it should. But, IF you remove the valve AND burn a chip with the valve disabled, the engine will run just as good, if not MORE so since the AFR isn't being diluted by spent gases. Not to mention you don't have to deal with the ridiculous carbon buildup the EGR causes.

Lmao, what are you 10? Do you really have to yell on the internet, I don't any point in that. They must have all information on Wikipedia wrong too then, as well as my Automotive school books.
Wikipedia said:
EGR in spark-ignited engines

The exhaust gas, added to the fuel, oxygen, and combustion products, increases the specific heat capacity of the cylinder contents, which lowers the adiabatic flame temperature.

In a typical automotive spark-ignited (SI) engine, 5 to 15 percent of the exhaust gas is routed back to the intake as EGR. The maximum quantity is limited by the requirement of the mixture to sustain a contiguous flame front during the combustion event; excessive EGR in an SI engine can cause misfires and partial burns. Although EGR does measurably slow combustion, this can largely be compensated for by advancing spark timing. The impact of EGR on engine efficiency largely depends on the specific engine design, and sometimes leads to a compromise between efficiency and NOx emissions. A properly operating EGR can theoretically increase the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms:

* Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses.
* Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduces NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke.
* Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC, rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is minor compared to the first two.

It also decreases the efficiency of gasoline engines via at least one more mechanism:

* Reduced specific heat ratio. A lean intake charge has a higher specific heat ratio than an EGR mixture. A reduction of specific heat ratio reduces the amount of energy that can be extracted by the piston.

EGR is typically not employed at high loads because it would reduce peak power output. This is because it reduces the intake charge density. EGR is also omitted at idle (low-speed, zero load) because it would cause unstable combustion, resulting in rough idle. The EGR valve also cools the exhaust valves and makes them last far longer (a very important benefit under light cruise conditions)

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And lower combustion temperatures isn't a good thing. You want the combustion temperautres to be almost to the edge of melting things.
And EGR typically doesn't start to work on most vehicles until 1700 RPM, so I'm not sure how you got the idea it improves off idle throttle response. Which it doesn't improve throttle response at all anyways, it only reduces NOx, adds carbon to your engine, and kills a little power.

Right, the more explosive power you can generate (via extremely high combustion temps to thoroughly burn the air/fuel charge), the harder the piston is forced downward on the power stroke. EGR doesn't improve anything in terms of throttle response, fuel mileage whatever, it simply reduces NOx and similar greenhouse gas emissions. And we all know that carbon buildup alone will hurt your power.

Back on topic, not sure, I had a check engine light come on today, gonna have to see what code it threw, we were on our way home on the highway doing about 65-70 and topping a hill and it came on, never had one on before, gonna check and see what number code it is then refference it in my book. Truck wasn't running any different, same temp. same oil pressure, ran great all the way home.

Did you pull the EGR and block it off? If so, it's most likely throwing EGR malfunction code, which, off the top of my head is Error Code 32 I believe. It typically only pops up when you do highway driving. While the engine will run just fine, it will leave some power on the table, for example, the ECM pulls some timing, when this code is present.

Lmao, what are you 10? Do you really have to yell on the internet, I don't any point in that. They must have all information on Wikipedia wrong too then, as well as my Automotive school books.

Wikipedia and your "automotive school books" are wrong. I'm not surprised that they both state that EGR helps with things OTHER than emissions, it helps to rationalize the having of an EGR. EGR does nothing more than reduce emissions.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No I aint touched the egr on mine it's still there.

I got plenty more questions and things I checked and found so so I'm gonna post a new thread in the engine section I guess and I'll link it to this one.