Can this be fixed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Different90

Reaction score
Maybe the question isn't can it be fixed, but should I fix it? Or should I be looking for a new cab? Tree fell on it during Iowas land hurricane. Sorry if this is the wrong location for this post.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anything can be fixed, but it gets to a point that it cost more to fix it, than it does to replace it. This would be a case like that. Your looking at a LOT of work, but if you have the time, a donor truck, and the skills to pull it off, then yes, it can be done, but man that is going to be a lot of work. You would have to remove everything around the fire wall, and cowl, then cut out whats bent, and replace it with good metal that comes from a donor truck. Tring to find a fire wall And cowl, good luck. It would be easier to find a cab and do a cab swap.

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're asking the wrong question. What you need to ask is if it's worth fixing. As Kenny said, anything can be fixed. For example if this was a truck that held sentimental value, maybe it's worth fixing. If it's just a truck to you, it'll be way less hassle to just get another.

Different90

Reaction score
I guess a cab swap is in my future. But yes, this truck holds a lot of sentimental value. It was my first truck at 17. I bought it with 31 thousand miles. Only has 91 right now. My wife and I started dating in this truck. Only reason it got parked 10-11 years ago was because my son was born and it struggled to pull my lawn care trailer. But my son has been asking to rebuild it so he can drive it for his first truck.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess a cab swap is in my future. But yes, this truck holds a lot of sentimental value. It was my first truck at 17. I bought it with 31 thousand miles. Only has 91 right now. My wife and I started dating in this truck. Only reason it got parked 10-11 years ago was because my son was born and it struggled to pull my lawn care trailer. But my son has been asking to rebuild it so he can drive it for his first truck.
Then it makes sense to invest the time and money to fix it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry about the damage, that sucks. But I agree, if the truck has that much sentimental value I'd fix it.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm starting to seriously consider finally fixing the rust on my Suburban which has been in my family since it was new. I haven't gone in for a new estimate on the body work and paint yet but I'm fully expecting it to be over $10K. I love my trucks, they're part of the family at this point.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I kind of agree on fixing it,bit like I said, it will be a lot of work.
1- can you weld ?
2 - cand you paint, and do have you ever done paint and body work ?
3 - how much spare time do you have. This will take a lot of it.
4 - can you get your kid involved ?
This will make memories that are irreplaceable.
5 - find a doner truck or cab for parts.
And there are a ton of things that will pop up when doing this that I can even start to mention.