Can they turn any better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I removed the leaking steering box off of my dads 1997 K1500, installed a low mileage clean 1995 steering box. After a few days of driving it, he said, this thing doesn't steer as sharp as it did before. We put back on the leaky 1997, steering went back good. Ordered a new one from Red Hed Steering, I believe they sent him a pre-1997 box, steering was nice and tight, but it wouldn't steer sharp once again.
**** I run 35s on extended cab 6'6" box, my steering is that if a school bus and I'm sure a bus turns better! I mainly steer with the skinny pedal tho to compensate lol.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
2. Steering STOPS. Controls the angle that the gearbox can be turned. With GM cars, you typically see somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees. For example, 64--72 Chevelles need 40+ degrees of gearbox angle, the steering stops are when the steering knuckle hits a reinforced section of the lower control arm. A Second-Gen Camaro has the stops built-into the gearbox limiting travel to 30-something degrees. The farther the gearbox turns, the sharper the steering knuckle turns...until the steering linkage binds.

This might be the reason why several people have mentioned putting the older steering box in the 97+ trucks resulted in worse radius. The older box has the stops set up to match the knuckles. I have a GMT800 steering gear. I did the same swap on my friend's 1997, and his truck still turns sharper than mine. Both are ECSB trucks. When I swap to the GMT800 front brakes this spring I will check where the stops are on those knuckles and see if there is room for improvement.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This might be the reason why several people have mentioned putting the older steering box in the 97+ trucks resulted in worse radius. The older box has the stops set up to match the knuckles. I have a GMT800 steering gear. I did the same swap on my friend's 1997, and his truck still turns sharper than mine. Both are ECSB trucks. When I swap to the GMT800 front brakes this spring I will check where the stops are on those knuckles and see if there is room for improvement.

On that note, I bet it coincided with EVO.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You don't need a harness for 4 hi mod, that is if u are going to use leds. Need a few feet of wire, a 5 prong 30a relay and about 20 minutes to put it in ( didn't see what year truck ur driving but 95-99 is very simple) . I use 4 sided 6000k isincer leds, can get all 4 bulbs for less than $30. The short is , leds draw waaay less than halogen bulbs so adding 4 bulbs to the circuit isn't close to overloading the wiring. Also with wiring the relay in, it supplies direct power to bulbs so not actually taxing factory circuit. And the way the relay is wired, if relay takes a **** or u don't want 4hi, u can pull relay and lights function same as oem. Done this to over 2 dozen gmt400s in last 5 years with zero issues.

I'm curious how you do your, I used a relay and a diode when I did my 1500.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score

Is the gmt800 steering gear a direct swap?

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm curious how you do your, I used a relay and a diode when I did my 1500.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Super easy and quick, wouldn't donit this way without LEDS tho. Could become an issue with wiring with the amperage the halogens draw. I like the fact if relay fails or u need to take 4hi mod off for some reason, u can pull relay and headlights function like factory again no need to splice wires or unhook wiring.

JayMB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were also changes to the control arms that enabled a tighter turning radius (at least for the 2500 series). Initially these trucks had stamped steel lower control arms that were welded together. Sometime around 97 they switched to forged ones that allow the knuckles to turn more before touching the control arms.