Can I use a 700r4 from a Corvette in my 92 Z71 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparkles254

Reaction score
I have a 1992 Z71 and I am in need of another transmission. I'm having quite a problem finding a used 700r. I however found a guy with a 700r that has been rebuilt from GM and a new torque coneverter that came out of a 1993 Corvette. He tells me that it will work in my truck. He said the only difference is the 4x4 transfer case. I'm pretty sure the tail shaft would have to be swapped out. Im not sure if buying this used transmission is the way to go or having mine rebuilt? I'm not a mechanic by ANY means and this is the first truck that I have even owned. With a name like sparkles yes I am a chick, not a gay guy LOL. Any help or input would be GREATLY appreciated! THANKS!

BubbaZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well first of all you want to confirm that your 92 has a 700R4 and not in fact a 4L60-e but if it does have a 700r-4 yes you can swap it in simply by swapping the tail shaft

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
You're sig pic has driven me insane for the last week.

sparkles254

Reaction score
For the trouble of swapping the tail shafts, would it be less of a headache to just rebuild my transmission?

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are gonna pay someone 200 dollars to swap the shaft, and pay a couple of hundred for the transmission, Id go ahead and just rebuild yours.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
No, a Corvette transmission won't work. I've never seen one with the appropriate mounting provisions for a truck or 3rd gen tailshaft. Also the tailshaft is ~1" shorter and would require the entire transmission be disassembled to replace.

TL;DR rebuild you ****