CamaroGuys parts hauler build. 1997 Chevy Cheyenne ECSB 4X4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamaroGuy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone Im Matt,

This is my '97 Chevy K1500. Always had a thing for these trucks. I bought this truck in Feb. 2015. Mostly stock and missing a tail gate lol. Truck was used on a farm and I could tell from all of the Spanish cds and Spanish lottery tickets I found inside. The truck has some rust to deal with but its not too bad. Needs cab corners and rocker panels, fenders and some rust repair on the frame. The bed of the truck was dented and rusted out. Motor and transfer case are supposed to have around 15,*** miles and the transmission had been rebuilt in December 2014. Interior was dusty dirty and had rips in the seats. Here are some pictures of the truck when I first bought it. As you can see I had a great chance to test the 4X4 out. 350 Vortec, Auto with push button 4x4

You must be registered for see images attach

I found a new bed for $100 that has some dents but almost rust free. Ive painted most of the frame, put a tail gate and herculiner in the bed. I put seats out of another truck at the junk yard in. Old seats were cloth 60/40 bench seats. New ones are 40/60 bench with 2 tone blue. They are in really good shape. I changed all of the lights out to aftermarket black styled. Painted the grille to match the truck. Had true dual flowmasters 50s installed from the Cats back with stainless tips, 3 inch body lift with new poly body bushings. I had to fix a few bad frame mounts while doing the body lift and installing the new bed. I bought some 17 inch Mickey Thompson wheels off craigslist and repainted them satin black (not perfect but decent looking). Bought a set of mastercraft tires for them 285/70/17.

Here are a few pictures from today.

There are still other things I have done to the truck that have slipped my mind. I call the truck my parts hauler as I am restoring a 1979 Camaro Z28 and until its finished the truck will be maintained and slowly fixed up. Im currently fighting ball joints and a lower control arm with a rust hole. Its a slow build but I wanted to join the forum to get ideas from other members and help when I just cant figure it out on my own.

Future plans:

Real paint job (bed is just rattle can temporarily)
Suspension lift instead of the body lift.
Cab lights
Police spot light
Thanks for checking out my truck!

Last edited:

chrmar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is quite the impressive transformation, even if the paint is only rattle-can...!

CamaroGuy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is quite the impressive transformation, even if the paint is only rattle-can...!

Thanks I appreciate it. I am not big on rattle can but at the time it was the best option.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Great start so far. Raising the rear bumper and getting rid of that last piece of trim on the fenders will make a big difference.

CamaroGuy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great start so far. Raising the rear bumper and getting rid of that last piece of trim on the fenders will make a big difference.

Thanks everyone. Yea it bothers me those trim pieces are there but im afraid when i pull them off the metal behind will come with it lol. So new fenders are in store. Id like to put factory fender flares on the truck too. The rear bumper will look so much better lifted.

CamaroGuy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright so its been a while. Not alot to update. Put ball joints in the truck. Still need to get an alignment. Ive noticed the driver side rear is slightly lower than the passenger side. Im guessing the springs are getting worn out. When I got the truck the bed had holes for a 5th wheel hitch drilled in the floor so im sure it was overloaded a few times. I also removed the last bit of trim on the fenders. The paint under them was bad. However I will need other fenders anyways.

Yesterday was a eventful day. I traded a cowl hood i wasnt using from my 79 Z28 to a guy for a ram air hood for the truck. Then drove to Vincennes, In to pick up an ARE fiberglass bed cover. They still need adjustments to be right but for now they are on. Here are some pics.

CamaroGuy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks man. Im planning to do a Manta stripe on the hood in black when I get it painted.

SouthJerseySteve

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Truck is looking good in a hurry! My 91 k1500 needed rear springs so bad that ever time I filled the gas tank the whole truck tilted to the left! Lol