Calling all Tahoe/Yukon Tailgate Owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my trucks second hindge for the tailgate has finally called it quits. The hindges themselves have rotted through the backside. Has anyone ever had these fixed? repaired? or have you just left it to rot?

Pictures would be helpful. If it isnt too bad I may just leave it because it is a 17 year old truck with 150,000+ miles. I'm not sure if its worth it. Thanks

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You suck... You would puke if you saw the underside of my truck.... And it gets yearly coats of POR15 and the salt still eats it.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I'd cry. My 99 still has the stickers on the frame from the factory. lol

Good luck, that sounds like a heck of a project. I've spent a lot of time in NY, I've seen how the salt treats vehicles there!

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it sucks. Bottoms of my doors are going, the rear bumper in some parts are just the chrome plating skin holding it together. Frames crusty but still super solid and no "thin" or rotting sections so we're good. If she does rot out I'm just going to buy another OBS and swap my good parts lol. OBS or die.

The hinges have rotted off the body, My plan its to cut that strip (where the hinges are welded too) off completely, drill and bolt the old hinges to a new replacement plate and weld the plate back to the body of the truck, I may use angle iron too. All thats left of that plate is paper thin rust haha. Oh well for the <3500 I've picked up three cars with it and wheeled the heck out of it. I was just curious to see if anyone else on here has had luck with repairs to this.