Bypassed lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why the hel did you take off the tensioner then? you kinda do need it and it won't be long until the belt is too long and starts slipping or coming off.

I'm all for removing and cleaning stuff up but why take off the tensioner when there is no adjustment?

You don't need to take the shroud off, reach over and take pics.

1990GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
because the bracket that holds the as and the tension completly broke off while doin 120 that why
a i dont see why its such a big deal to do with out it anyways
this is the 3rd truck ive done it too with no problems
on my 88 i did it also bout 2 yrs ago and its still got the same belt

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
because the tensioner is there for a reason, to keep the belt tight. I don't see how any belt would last long without some sort of adjustment. every now and then they need tightened up. I honestly don't see how you could force it on there hard enough to make it work.

oh well you know what you did and if it works.

how would it be best for e fans though, if it's that tight the fan should work just fine. If the smooth side of the belt rides the water pump pulley then it's turning the right way, if it wasn't I'd bet e fan or not it would have issues.

So what's the big deal if you done this a few times post pics, let other ppl see maybe they want to do it, who knows.

Last edited:

1990GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i have and it does work,,has worked fine on my z for this long
and if it gets loose in 6 or 8 months ill replace it not a big deal just a 12 dollar belt
runs great like it is now and im not gona screw with it

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
$12? I'm coming down there to buy my belts they are freakin $20 here and up.

As for so many months, that's the tensioners job to save you from buying another.

If it works for you then good, I just wanna see pics of it and how clean it is.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no doubt but at 120? lol that's not legal unless you was at the track, I'm surprised it's still in one piece for something like that to mess up at that speed.

Same for me, my a/c worked, but the core sprang a leak and I was afraid of it locking up or something. I got the non a/c bracket for the tensioner for mine though put it back like stock non a/c being an 88 i got lucky.