Budget sas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrunetuckyMuddin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My front end is shot and so I'm thinking bout doing a sas. I'm on a budget and was wondering what would be the cheapest I could do the swap and the least amount of lift. For the brackets I would be getting the ord sas kit, because it's my daily driver and I wouldn't have time to fab everything up. Thanks for the help guys!

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
This topic has been covered a lot in recent months with even a few budget build threads.

I will say though, there isn't such thing as a "Cheap" SAS, or a cheap suspension lift in general. The fact that you can't do any kind of fabrication yourself, also makes it almost impossible to do any kind of "budget" SAS for you.

PrunetuckyMuddin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know, there isn't any real "cheap" way of doing this. And I didn't say I can't fabricate, I have everything to fabricate stuff except for a drill press. I also work as a welder at a fabrication shop so I can get some plate steel from here. I'm just trying to see if I can do this for under 1500

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't see why not, the cost of the axle and then the bracket kit is the big cost.

everyone uses a d60 axle usually and them aint cheap. If you run a d44 you need a knuckle, them can be bought fdor $270 or buy some old used flat tops and have themmachined. Same goes for a dirt cheap 10 bolt gm axle, use 44 flat tops or buy the new knuckles for it.

thoise require a ps drop t-case which you can find a np241 from a burb or whatever squarebody from like 88-91 or something, or use any other old gm but loose vss. That can be fixed with an aftermarket gauge, or you can get a pulse generator or something which can get pretty complicated and in depth, so best bet np241 with vss. fab crossmember, t-case runs around $250 on ebay.

factory old square body driveshafts work, tons of old squarebody stuff can be used to make it work and be cheap including spring hangers.

IMO buy some old or even new spring hangers from lmc and weld them to your frame, weld the front on or to a piece of rect. tbuing.

That saves a ton right there, cheapest kit I saw was like $400 and up.

you can use stock rear squarebody springs to get like 4 inches of lift and be cheap, or even buy new ones or front lift springs.

I am going to do mine much as described and it's gonna be cheap.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This topic has been covered a lot in recent months with even a few budget build threads.

I will say though, there isn't such thing as a "Cheap" SAS, or a cheap suspension lift in general. The fact that you can't do any kind of fabrication yourself, also makes it almost impossible to do any kind of "budget" SAS for you.
true dat! the only way it can be considered cheap is the fact that you wont be changing IFS parts every month in a lift truck.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i spent probably around 1k on the front axle including rebuild and steering parts. my hangers were 250 and went with a shackle flip out back. currently swaping the axle in now. started on saturday

SIKAZPHUC

Reaction score

Took the words right out of my mouth. You hear of the "cheap SAS" builds and there is nearly never any updates after they have driven it for a while and given up the honest "issues" they had later cutting corners, or how the realistic safety of the vehicle is trashed. I spent a crap load on my SAS and went overboard....still can be a PITA some days....not like IFS isn't ...lol. But you get what I mean. It isn't the save all be all..but definitley an improvement on many levels. But it won't be your comfy chebby anymore...