Brake noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Planning to go on the lift this Saturday to find out what's going on for sure but wanted to get some ideas first.

99 K1500 Suburban

First noticed a low grinding sound when coming to a stop. Have now noticed a constant metallic scraping sound at any speed with/without brake application.

Bought the Suburban in March and don't know much history from before then so my first thought is it just needs pads/shoes. There is no "squealing" as associated with worn pads though so I'm not sure.

Braking performance doesn't seem diminished, but I've only really driven it once since I noticed the noise, and was giving myself plenty of room.

Just wondering if anyone has solved this issue, or if it's just standard worn brakes.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably just worn pads IMO. Although I did fight this issue for a while on my Suburban. I replaced pads and rotors (and drums) all the way around and still had noise. My issue ended up being cheap pads and/or rotors. After sitting for a couple days the rotors would develop a little bit of surface corrosion and squeak like hell. Replaced them again with some slightly nicer equipment and the issue disappeared.

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dumb question, but I'm looking up pads/shoes and I see different p/n for FRONT pads depending on REAR drum diameter. Does that make sense?

Furthermore, how do I know which rear diameter I have?

Bendix gives me a choice of 10" or 11" rear drum, O'Reilly shows 11" or 13".

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't why it gives you that option but rockauto only lists 11" or 13" drums with the 13" being for 8 lug axles. My 99 k1500 suburban has 11" rear drums.

I agree with df2x4, don't skimp, get quality brake components.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mackguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rock Auto gives option of different front pads depending on rear drum of 10 or 11.. Oh well, just wonder what the 10" version fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
My 10 bolt had 10" brakes. My 14 bolt (6 lug swap; came off a 94 k1500) has 11" brakes. 13" brakes, I assume, are from 8 lug trucks. I have no idea if that's the case, just seems possible