Suspension parts questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was curious if getting a complete upper arm replacement was a better choice or keeping the arms stock and just replace the ball joints & bushings would be a better way to go. The lowers I’m assuming it would be easier & cheaper to replace the ball joint and bushing

Edit:
98 K1500 silverado

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
getting a complete upper arm replacement was a better choice
If easier is why, then yes, I did that. But all the replacements didn’t have the ball joints I wanted, so I replaced it with a TTX ball joint. The lower a-arms aren’t available in aftermarket, although lately many are using an Astro LCA which is a direct fit(maybe a little grinding).

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If easier is why, then yes, I did that. But all the replacements didn’t have the ball joints I wanted, so I replaced it with a TTX ball joint. The lower a-arms aren’t available in aftermarket, although lately many are using an Astro LCA which is a direct fit(maybe a little grinding).
Maybe not available for a K truck, but us 2WD guys got 'em aftermarket - from like half a dozen different brands, too.

Richard

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea it’s a K1500 98 4WD
I still have the complete placement arms in the cart (uppers) easier probably would be to just swap them out. But I also did want to keep things as stock as possible and I wasn’t sure if it was more valuable to do so or if it even really mattered . I have pictures on my street build thread
You must be registered for see images attach

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about going with ttx too how much better is it than the devoted supreme line.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ttx stuff is really nice. Those forged arms are probably easier to replace the bushings in than the stamped steel versions.
That being said, bushings CAN be a wicked job without a press. If you have a press, you probably have shop air and maybe a torch.

As far as retaining vehicle value, unless it has less than 10k miles on it, I wouldn’t worry about keeping factory original wear items. Quality stock replacements are usually more valuable to potential buyers than anything aftermarket/modified.

CruiseLifeB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ttx stuff is really nice. Those forged arms are probably easier to replace the bushings in than the stamped steel versions.
That being said, bushings CAN be a wicked job without a press. If you have a press, you probably have shop air and maybe a torch.

As far as retaining vehicle value, unless it has less than 10k miles on it, I wouldn’t worry about keeping factory original wear items. Quality stock replacements are usually more valuable to potential buyers than anything aftermarket/modified.
So like if I find some ac delco/Delphi arms would be better than a mevotech replacement? & I have a ball press the c clamp style . I’ve used that for u joints and some ball joints not a big shop press

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So like if I find some ac delco/Delphi arms would be better than a mevotech replacement?
Not necessarily, I was more referring to the custom aftermarket stuff, like fabricated tubular control arms. But that’s if you’re worried about sticking to originality and you don’t plan on using the truck outside of its original design parameters.

Acdelco/Delphi, moog, supreme mevotech etc. would all be considered a “stock replacement”. Mevotech TTX and Pro Forged (I’m sure there’s others) are still a “ stock replacement” but they are “designed and built beyond oem specifications” more heavy duty-er :p

Kryptonite, Rough-Country, CPP, DJM are some examples of “custom aftermarket” stuff usually designed for suspension height changes (lifting or lowering)

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The c-clamp press works, but bushings CAN and usually do end up being a serious pain. Especially if you’re using hand tools and not an air impact.

I’m a mechanic with access to good air tools and I still buy loaded control arms. The labor to replace bushings and ball joints /usually/ out ways the cost difference of the loaded unit.