Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hoarder is such a strong word; I prefer avid and motivated collector.

You and Dave I swear; that's why I can't find any switches like that.
Makes me want to go to PAP/LKQ more often, but when both of those yards are 45 minutes/1 hour away, and a big block daily makes the task a little taxing.

Just ball harder.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

E-mailed Lextech and got an 0411 pinout sheet; now to scour yards for a decent one. If that doesn't work, I'll just pay him for one.
The pinout said something about a fuel pressure sensor or evap sensor that was a 1996 only provision not pinned on the PCM or something; I'll have to look later to be sure, but does that sound correct? Is there anyone else who's got a 96 truck with an 0411 on here?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

E-mailed Lextech and got an 0411 pinout sheet; now to scour yards for a decent one. If that doesn't work, I'll just pay him for one.
The pinout said something about a fuel pressure sensor or evap sensor that was a 1996 only provision not pinned on the PCM or something; I'll have to look later to be sure, but does that sound correct? Is there anyone else who's got a 96 truck with an 0411 on here?

Considering lextech throws a base tune that is supposedly decent on his ecms, I'd go that route. Otherwise you'll have to have it tuned by someone before you can use it.

Unless you planned to send it to black bear before installing it.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Considering lextech throws a base tune that is supposedly decent on his ecms, I'd go that route. Otherwise you'll have to have it tuned by someone before you can use it.

Unless you planned to send it to black bear before installing it.

I'll probably weigh my options to be honest, if I can't find an 0411 in any yard I'll shell out for Lextech's ECM.
I can't remember if I've asked if Black Bear could program the computer for a 454;

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll probably weigh my options to be honest, if I can't find an 0411 in any yard I'll shell out for Lextech's ECM.
I can't remember if I've asked if Black Bear could program the computer for a 454;

I'm sure he can/ has tuned 454s.

I'm sure either route would be fine. Honestly aside from being more aggressive with timing, there isn't much that black bear can do that lextech can't. I'm pretty sure that if you ask lextech will do things like delete TM, egr, add timing, remove PE delay, etc; I'm not sure if he does any transmission changes or not, would probably be worth asking. If he does do all of that, lextech is the cheaper option, but black bear offers the re-tuning service which is nice. Just stuff to consider.

I'll * this by saying I've never had a computer tuned by either.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I'm sure he can/ has tuned 454s.

I'm sure either route would be fine. Honestly aside from being more aggressive with timing, there isn't much that black bear can do that lextech can't. I'm pretty sure that if you ask lextech will do things like delete TM, egr, add timing, remove PE delay, etc; I'm not sure if he does any transmission changes or not, would probably be worth asking. If he does do all of that, lextech is the cheaper option, but black bear offers the re-tuning service which is nice. Just stuff to consider.

I'll * this by saying I've never had a computer tuned by either.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to go through with repinning for the 0411; I know everyone says it's easy; but I am **** at wiring. I couldn't figure out how to install the HD headlight harness and the 4Hi kit from LMC even though it's got step by step instructions.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out if I want to go through with repinning for the 0411; I know everyone says it's easy; but I am **** at wiring. I couldn't figure out how to install the HD headlight harness and the 4Hi kit from LMC even though it's got step by step instructions.

Well, there's really not much to figure out with it, or there shouldn't be. It is really just a matter of pulling pins from the old plugs, one by one, and moving them to the correct location in the next plug. The hardest part is adding anything special that lextech puts in the notes.

The only thing that can be an issue is if you mix up a wire, which is definitely possible, so if you do it just take your time. If you were really concerned about it, you could label each wire before removing them from the old plugs, that would make any troubleshooting really easy.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Well, there's really not much to figure out with it, or there shouldn't be. It is really just a matter of pulling pins from the old plugs, one by one, and moving them to the correct location in the next plug. The hardest part is adding anything special that lextech puts in the notes.

The only thing that can be an issue is if you mix up a wire, which is definitely possible, so if you do it just take your time. If you were really concerned about it, you could label each wire before removing them from the old plugs, that would make any troubleshooting really easy.

Just knock 'em out 1 at a time and you'll be GTG. Take notes of any uncertainty along the way. Still pretty easy to unfuckulate your mistakes as, worst case, you can ohm out a misplaced wire and refuckulate it.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score

Pic from a couple days ago, I need to wash this thing something terribly. Birdshit, water marks from the rain, dust. It's so nasty.

No big updates, trying to figure out how to run the HD headlight harness and 4Hi kit while retaining a clean, factory look with the wiring under the hood.
Trying to unfuckulate some of the PO's wonderful wiring; I'm not sure how they decided to tie in the trailer brake controller, but they didn't use the existing wiring GM put in place.
Not to mention all the other hokey **** I need to undo, what a damn mess.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I hear you loud and clear. When I got my truck, the person whoever had it before me had put 2 small oval Hella offroad lights on my truck with a grille guard and the wiring was a mess. It sucks when a previous owner doesn't do it right the first time.

For your grille, you said you just got it from Ebay? Was it chromed aluminum? I found a chrome aluminum grille insert on Amazon for about 40 bucks. Finally got a GMC grille today, hoping to do what you did to your grille with the insert, I think it looks cool.

Also, holy crap did you paint your body molding red and the door handle red too? Or is just the lighting in the picture? Either way, looks badass with the chrome and red molding.