Body lift question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they can come apart, and body lift blocks are not poly, they are nylon or some crap.

dangerous period. they are with rubber and the flex could cause them to spit out or something worse on impact. It's just a redneck way to do it. IMO companies have to spend big bucks testing so you know they are safe, and it's not that much so why not buy the kt and do it right? Is it worth the risk of you rlife or others for a hockey puck to fail?

Eggman

Reaction score
they can come apart, and body lift blocks are not poly, they are nylon or some crap.

dangerous period. they are with rubber and the flex could cause them to spit out or something worse on impact. It's just a redneck way to do it. IMO companies have to spend big bucks testing so you know they are safe, and it's not that much so why not buy the kt and do it right? Is it worth the risk of you rlife or others for a hockey puck to fail?

Easy there Swims. I never said the body lift blocks were poly, please re-read my post. Do you really think that Performance Accessories really spends a ton of money testing body lift blocks? I don't know, just asking. Its just that I have been an avid off-roader for about 12 years now and have seen quite a few hockey puck "redneck" body lifts out on some fairly tough trails and ran down the highway to get there. However, I have never seen a hockey puck "spit out" of anything but a hockey player's mouth nor have I ever seen one "come apart". Frequent several off-road sites and always hear of the dangers, but never see any proof. Any one have any pictures of these "spit out" hockey pucks? Just wondering.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do what you want, I made my point in the last post, not worth your life or somebody else's
I think IMO the worst would be an impact/crash, frame stops body doesn't. That may not be a puck problem, more of a bolt issue but you never know, maybe they allow it to flex too much and bend the bolts or something where the other would not.
1 puck may be ok but most like to stack them.

I could handle 1 puck maybe but why it aint worth the time and trouble for an inch.

As for proof, nope don't have any, just heard all the tales.

As for them testing yes, can they sale something unsafe? doubtful too many law suites and if that happened they'd have to stop the sale of them. If not they have to have a disclaimer saying not responsilb efor them coming out, or damages associated with it.

I read your post, I missed nothing, IMO the poly is flexible and the body lift blocks are not. To me it's like compared steel to wood, yea they are both tough, but wood is weaker and more flexible. I figured you were getting at, if it's good enough for new car bushings it'd work for body lift blocks, when the actual lift blocks are not flexible, not as much as poly wouldbe I wouldn't think.

Last edited:

Eggman

Reaction score
do what you want, I made my point in the last post, not worth your life or somebody else's

I think IMO the worst would be an impact/crash, frame stops body doesn't. That may not be a puck problem, more of a bolt issue but you never know, maybe they allow it to flex too much and bend the bolts or something where the other would not.

1 puck may be ok but most like to stack them.
As for proof, nope don't have any, just heard all the tales.

As for them testing yes, can they sale something unsafe? doubtful too many law suites and if that happened they'd have to stop the sale of them. If not they have to have a disclaimer saying not responsilb efor them coming out, or damages associated with it.

I read your post, I missed nothing, IMO the poly is flexible and the body lift blocks are not. To me it's like compared steel to wood, yea they are both tough, but wood is weaker and more flexible.

I figured you were getting at, if it's good enough for new car bushings it'd work for body lift blocks, when the actual lift blocks are not flexible, not as much as poly wouldbe I wouldn't think.

Sorry, but I still dont see a point that you have made. You made a statement that hockey pucks are dangerous, but yet you have no proof to back it up. "Just heard all the tales", once again, just tales, no evidence. Body lifts in general will increase the leverage on the body mount bolts, the taller the body lift, the more leverage. Doesn't matter which material the blocks are made from. If you look in the catalogs for new body mount bushings for any older truck, they are either rubber (stock form) or polyurethane (upgraded aftermarket). So you are stacking polyurethane on top of the fiber filled plastic blocks. "The kit blocks must be installed in addition to the factory bushings. Installing the kit blocks without the factory bushings could result in damage to the vehicle orserious personal injury." Performance Accessories installation manual.

As far as the disclaimer for something that could potentially dangerous, have you ever read any of the warnings of some of the off road accessories? Use at your own risk, they are not responsible for anything, shorting it up a bit as well.

General statements made with nothing to back them up is just wind. Proof is all I am asking for. Never seen it.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well if all you want to do is come on here and pick a fight then best for you to pack up and move on. guys like you is what ruins forums.

No I have no proof, do you have any???? NO you have zero proof that they are safe.

Yea Joe blow and all my buddys gots em and they are still just fine, sorry that's hear say not proof. Guys do unsafe things all the time and some work some don't. I'm just passing out info I've heard over and over, NOT to forget that it's illegal to use other things for body lifts, or to go past 3 inches here in my state.

Like I said if you want to go ahead, I'm just glad you live no where near me. or at least I hope you don't.

Sorry for not having proof but when I hear something is unsafe and I could see a reasonable point to it when it comes to safety, I'll pass along the info. You want to fight over who's right, go somewhere's else like FSC or GMFS that's all they know if fighting.

You want proof go find it, stop trying to single me out and bash over it. When you got some proof to back them up being safe I'll stop passing around the info saying they aint the safest thing to do.

Guys like you who want to argue and bash over stupid things or unsafe things is what makes me want to stop posting ANYTHING anywhere. As before if you guys want to do stupid things or unsafe things go ahead, just hope you don't live near me.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea I think I'll pass on that holding my body up...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/great-hockey-puck-seat-riser-debate-1074733/

and before you start bashing again I know there's rubber around the truck already, factory bushings, so what. I know rubber breaks down and the bushings can fall out and all that etc.

You said you wanted some puck fail proof, there ya go. Body lift blocks don't come apart like that. Not to mention it's like the same price to buy ya some pucks as it would be to buy actual body lift blocks. Then add in bolts etc.

I would like to see some hockey pucks pass inspection or DOT or something, now if they approved them I'd never bad mouth them. There's a reason some things are frowned on.

Can you do it? yes, will it work, yes, should you? maybe not, will it last? maybe not. Is it legal DOT approved? doubtful, would it pass inspection? I doubt that very much.

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im with swims on this one. Just buy the kit plain and simple. Do it once, do it right. No sense in threatening public safety because your too cheap to buy a 200 dollar body lift. Just my .02

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sucks they raised the price don't it? They used to be $150 a year or two ago, now they are close to $200.

It's almost cheaper to buy the blocks from zone then go find the right bolts and do it yourself.

Eggman

Reaction score
Wow, I guess I really ruffled some feathers. Wasnt my intention. Was just asking for some proof. Thanks Swims for the pick, its now bookmarked. By the way, no one picking any fights or bashing anyone, just asking questions. Isn't that the reason for this type of forum? Education and information. Thanks again.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI that's the only bad thing I found or saw on them, same as you said, nobody had proof, just ohh don't use it, and such.

I aint used em, aint seen anybody who has, I have no proof or info other then what I had read, just not to do it and so on. The biggest thing I saw would be the bolt making the hole bigger with the puck moving, but man that thing tore badly, with little to no torque. I know my step bars said to retorque my cab bolts to 65 ft. lbs.

I'll admit alot of it I don't understand, you aint supposed to use soft materials like pucks, yet you can't use solid things like pipe either, both are equally frowned upon. When I say pipe I don't mean tubing or exhaust either, something very thick and fits nicely around the bolt and such.