Black Coffee's 98' RCSB 4wd build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah ha no problem I'm not much of a teacher. I had a friend help me as well that knew he was doing better then I ha. He told me he had his girlfriend help him initially and shes good with fabric. Yeah I hope it does too man. I'm putting on the grille now, trying to find my ss bowtie.

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow what a day, distributer was on its last limb and thankfully was replaced today, cap and rotor as well both which were about to fall apart. That was the problem of it not turning over and also the loss of power, but the main problem (cylinder #5 misfire) was the wires AND the fact that a few were in the wrong spot. I can see how easily that would happen with the uneven distribution of cylinder location and wire location you'd think it would go 1 after the other... Not the case ha. Anyways this was the first time I've fired the motor in the truck without any problems. Sounds great! No more limb mode ha. Transfer case is leaking very slowly and I'm seeing a very small amount of oil on the ground as well after it sitting for four days?.. In due time. Grille on and I found my bowtie. Going to hunt for my captains chair and seatbelt floor hook ups tomorrow. I taped up the rear window for the night because were expecting rain, I don't want to dirty up my clean cab. So hopefully tomorrow I'll find my seats and seatbelt things and I'll be driving it by wednesday! Then it'll just be getting it right enough to take the long journey up to NC to do the rest of the work and paint.

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had to see how she'd move a bit hahaha
You must be registered for see images

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like it was a good day and that the engine is now running good. Where is the T-case leaking from the rear seal (where your driveshaft goes in)?

Are you ever riding in style! My first ride was on a empty milk crate :lol:
I'm liking the black grill so far.

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hell yeah! Not positive on the location of the leak, I'll check tomorrow. I'm more worried about the oil I found leaking.

Haha when I did the carpet in my 2 door I rode on a milk crate for a couple days ha.

Yeah man, looks like the truck will be making a drastic change ALOT sooner. Leaving for NC the 15th now I believe.

Going tomorrow to get my seat, ordering my rear slider window tomorrow, ordering vinyl flooring, and installing the bumper.

Should have the trucks steering corrected, oil leak fixed, transfer case fixed, I'm going to de crank the torsion bars in the front (there almost to the bumpstops because of the guy that owned it before with the big nasty tires) and replace the shocks
by the end of the week.

Now I need to really decide on color. I'm almost set on Carmine Red on top and gold on the bottom. Since I have the opprotunity for a pro paint job, the possibilitys are open. Nothing custom, I want OEM colors. I need like an old ad for 96-98 Z71 RCSB paint schemes and also Z71 Sport paint Schemes.

Last edited:

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What shocks should I go with, I'm not lifted and its going to be awhile before I am. I won't ever go more then 4-6" btw. Anyways, so it might be awhile and these shocks now are ******* out. I want some nice on/offroad shocks that are smooth and will hold the road. I've had Bilstein HD's and they were pretty good but I was hoping there was something better for stock height trucks?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now I need to really decide on color. I'm almost set on Carmine Red on top and gold on the bottom. Since I have the opprotunity for a pro paint job, the possibilitys are open. Nothing custom, I want OEM colors. I need like an old ad for 96-98 Z71 RCSB paint schemes and also Z71 Sport paint Schemes.

So many options! I would myself repaint in the OE colors it is! Or a color matched white RCSB is always nice. I'm not a huge fan of the bragnady color.

Go a brighter red and darker 2 tone, much like bowtiefreak's Tahoe!
You must be registered for see images attach

Or even a silver(ish) color, would look good with the black wheels/grill/bumpers.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What shocks should I go with, I'm not lifted and its going to be awhile before I am. I won't ever go more then 4-6" btw. Anyways, so it might be awhile and these shocks now are ******* out. I want some nice on/offroad shocks that are smooth and will hold the road. I've had Bilstein HD's and they were pretty good but I was hoping there was something better for stock height trucks?

I had always ran the cheap Superlift shocks up until this fall when I got some Bilstien 5100's. Much better ride and feel when off road and not rough on road, I wish I would have got them in the first place. I had Monroe shocks on my old ext. cab, they seemed pretty good plus had a lifetime warrenty.

blackcoffee

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice man, I've got a week from Friday to figure it out. Thats when I'm leaving to NC, and that is where I'll do all the work, bumpers, windows, paint, interior, the works. Today, I put my bench seat back in temporarily to get around. I wasn't able to find another captains seat here, so I had my buddy find me one in NC so that'll come their as well ha. I fired up the truck today and took it for a ride to the gas station. Man is she a beast! Getting the front end looked at tomorrow to see why the steering is out of whack.

I thought 5100's were for lifted trucks only?!