Belltech flip kit question on 92 454ss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dubwise

Reaction score
So I'm about to install Belltech 6650 flip kit on my 92 454ss... I took the bed off and lined up the notch to the frame and there is a like a 1/2 gap - meaning the frame measures close to 4.5" and the notch measures 5" ??!
/
I called up Belltech and they verified this was the right p/n for the truck (according to them anyway). I made the guy check the difference between 6605 and 6650 and he said the only thing was different was the ubolts and plates and that the notches were the same. Something doesn't see right here... Am I really suppose to install this thing w/that much of a gap?!

Did anyone else run into anything like this? This seems really bizarre to me that there's that much extra space there - especially in a high stress area.

Also the template in the kit does not even line up with the c-notch?! (Although it looks like the notch holes will line up with the existing ones in the frame) :D WTH is going on?

Pix for reference:

Rear:
You must be registered for see images attach

Front:

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did mine 20+ years ago, and I'd really have to dig thru my files for the part number, but mine fits inside the rail fairly snug...

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah that is not right, no way would I run that with that gap. I have installed several belltech notches and they always fit snug to the frame rail sometimes even a hair tight, but never that loose.

dubwise

Reaction score
Edit: I found this, which made me laugh because that is exactly what my truck would look like if I installed the notch.

From here: http://www.sportruck.com/howto/slam/4.htm

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Belltech is essentially of no help and I would rather not spend the $50+ it's gonna cost to ship this kit back.

I definitely do not plan on running this thing as-is.

Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut the top of the notch down so the bottom sits flush like it should. Bolt it on then weld it in around the edges. Should be good then I would think but I'm no engineer...

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would either cut off the top and reweld it on where it fits nice and tight, or get some flat steel strap the same width as the top and the thickness of the gap at the top and weld it to the top of the notch to account for the difference and make it fit right.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder if they screwed up and packaged the brace for an 8 lug 2500 in that kit...or mis-boxed a whole 8 lug kit. Frame is different. In your case the 2500 6 lug kit is really a 1500 kit with larger saddles that fit the 14 bolt.

EDIT - just went out and checked mine (94 C2500LD) part # stamped into the passenger brace is 6605-02 (assuming -01 on the driver's side but didn't bother looking)...and there's a gap. It's been so many years I forgot. We welded it to the frame instead of bolting, leaving the gap at the bottom. Still, it's not as much gap as yours, which is a little troubling. Check the part # stamping.

Richard

Last edited:

dubwise

Reaction score
I wonder if they screwed up and packaged the brace for an 8 lug 2500 in that kit...or mis-boxed a whole 8 lug kit. Frame is different. In your case the 2500 6 lug kit is really a 1500 kit with larger saddles that fit the 14 bolt.

EDIT - just went out and checked mine (94 C2500LD) part # stamped into the passenger brace is 6605-02 (assuming -01 on the driver's side but didn't bother looking)...and there's a gap. It's been so many years I forgot. We welded it to the frame instead of bolting, leaving the gap at the bottom. Still, it's not as much gap as yours, which is a little troubling. Check the part # stamping.

Richard

I thought the same thing as you regarding the 2500, 8-lug kit. I'm guessing the frame is taller on those which makes complete sense. This is definatly a fail on Belltech's part. Box says p/n 6650, instructions say 6605-6607, and then they give me a notch for a completely different truck. :smokin:

I went to go look at the stamping on the notch as I was excited to call back Belltech and tell them I have proof I have the wrong notch now -- but there wasn't any stampings on the notch at all. :banghead:

The welder I have is too small to weld anything to the frame. In fact the last time I tried to weld something to the frame the shock hoop on the tahoe came flying off doing 65mph down the highway. lol

Short of rolling the dice on buying another c-notch, cutting & welding this one is probably the best idea. I'm going to try giving Belltech another call to see if they will man-up and make this right 1st. I'll report back and let you guys know what they say.

In the mean time, anyone in Central Florida with a welder wanna make some $? :)

Thanks guys!