Axle wrap fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
shackle flip or adda leaf/rearched springs. your tow capacity may go up and you may experience a slightly rougher ride in the rear. blocks are okay, rough country ones seem to always ave axle wrap, and tapered ones will throw of your driveline angles, the only reaosn they used tapered blocks is because otherwise your slip yoke would pull too far out of your trans.

lift companies make lifts easy because they in all honesty arent done right at all. tweak something hear and there and sacrifice proper vehicle structure to have a lifted truck is basically all it does.

Reaction score
Shackle flip it is! That will eliminate the block, crap pinion angle, and my axle wrap, all for $270 once I factor in new u bolts. I'm going to go ahead and opt for the u bolt flip kit while I'm at it. Not sure what the pick a part will charge for a set of springs off of a 2500. Are the 2500 leafs going to make up for the additional 2" that the add a leaf gave my stock springs? I don't want the height of the rear to change.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Shackle flip it is! That will eliminate the block, crap pinion angle, and my axle wrap, all for $270 once I factor in new u bolts. I'm going to go ahead and opt for the u bolt flip kit while I'm at it. Not sure what the pick a part will charge for a set of springs off of a 2500. Are the 2500 leafs going to make up for the additional 2" that the add a leaf gave my stock springs? I don't want the height of the rear to change.

Sounds like a plan! 2500 springs give you about 2 inches

Reaction score
I'm cool with having my driveshaft lengthened. I actually already have a quote from a local shop for 160-210 to lengthen and balance mine or around $280 for a new one. I was going to do that anyhow since the slip yoke is pulled out about an inch now. Looks like the exhaust will have to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Shackle flip moves the axle forward also

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shackle flip moves the axle forward also

Technically that is not true.... As the front of your leaf spring is still mounted in the same stock location and you axle is still mounted in the same stock location on the center pin on the spings..held on by u bolts ofcaurse...

By doing a shackle flip all you are doing is raising the rear of the truck higher above the stock setup of leaf springs.. this does not by default move the axle foward.. The axle has a predetermined arch that it can travel by pivoting on one stationery bolt one the front of each leaf spring that holds it to the frame mount..

What does move depending on where in that swing/arch the travel of the axle is at any given point is the drive shaft. Being a given length with a slip joint that slide over the transmission and or transfer case output shaft.. it will move in and out to compensate for the distance apart, not because of a flip kit, but because of where the axle and transmission is in relation to the arch the axle can travel up and down in relation to the suspension travel/travel... this is because as the center point of the drive shaft at the u joint is typically not on the same plane (not in line) with the two bolts that hold the leaf springs on and not at the same hight... that is why on any vehicle (yes there are always a few exceptions) with any type of suspension and has the ability to be driven or propelled by a shaft driven axle whether be it front or the rear has some type of a slip joint either built onto the shaft, a collar to go over a splined outputs, or even a cv style shaft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
by eliminating the tapered blocks your pinion angle is back to normal which is also parralell with your tcase, thuse being proper and actualy pulling the slip yoke out more. pull it out too far and itll destroy your busing or bearing faster and start to whip which ultimately could destroy your trans, tcase, and driveshaft.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the axle would move fwd a wee bit. Its all hinged on the eye at the front of the spring. As the rear moves down the distance between the two reduces. The pinion angle is set by the leaf spring mounts on the axle tubes. It's angle also changes because only the rear is coming down, which will point the pinion up a bit. I'd maybe have to shim it just a tad to get the drive line angles perfect. Its when you drop the axle straight down from the spring mount that causes issues. Thats why they taper some blocks, usually the taller ones, to account for the straight down drop. And to reduce the angles on the u joints. But drive line angles are touchy and thats a subject in itself. Mine are ok, until the springs start to twist under load. I will correct everything when I do the shackle flip. I'm prepared to do what it takes to make it "correct", short of 4-link and coilovers. :weld:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Shavkle flips definately move the axle forward that why most people run a zero rate with them