Anyone Towed With a RCSB 305?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armybyrd

Reaction score
Ive got a '95 reg cab stepside with 305TBI and nv3500 as my daily driver which I just picked up a week before I deployed. Ive never towed before but in a few months Ill need to rent a u-haul and pull my 2011 Corvette about 1600 miles from CO to GA. Just wanted to get some input from others who've towed with this setup. I was mainly wondering how the 305 would do-mine runs great but not sure if it'll be struggling though. From what Ive read brakes are more of an issue with towing than just pulling power. Any input would be appreciated.

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much does the vette weight. Did you confirm that uhaul will let you tow the vette?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I've towed with my 97, it has a 305/4l60e but its an extended cab. I've towed my z71 and a S10. It towed the S10 fine. But the z71 was a struggle on it. I thing you'll be ok towing a Vette, especially since you have a stick!

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For braking just make sure the trailer has good brakes and install a brake controller in your truck

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A brake controller won't do anything for a uhaul trailer. They have surge brakes.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
For braking just make sure the trailer has good brakes and install a brake controller in your truck

^Agreed, I would not trust the 1500 brakes in many towing situations. A brake controller is worth the money to protect the Corvette. The 305 may struggle at times on the trip, but should do fine for the most part.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as long as you don't expect it to pull like a 350 or bigger and take your time taking off and on hills, you should be fine, not many grades to climb once you're on the way really, as long as you don't climb Monteagle mountain, though its better than it was years ago

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A brake controller won't do anything for a uhaul trailer. They have surge brakes.

Did not know this. Then braking should not be much of an issue

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
My vortec 305 pulls alot better than my TBI 350. And if you don't have trailer brakes just downshift to help slow down.

armybyrd

Reaction score
The Vette should be about 3200 lbs. And for the uhaul I figured Id tell them I just needed to tow a geo metro or something similar. Would the tranny be alright in 5th while Im on the highway or would towing in the overdrive gear do harm?