Anyone do a gas V8 to 6.5 turbo diesel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trailblazr81

Reaction score
Anyone swap a gas to diesel in a OBS? I want to remove my weak 5 litre for more power and MPG'S. Ive had a 6.5 turbo diesel in the past and liked it. I dont plan on anything wild, just a small power increase to get over 400 pounds torque and try for 20 MPG freeway. How much work is involved? I know my trucks a little half ton so my towing/hauling capacity is limited but miss the sound n fun of driving a manual turbo diesel. Or am I better off going with a vortec 350 with cam, headers, etc? This is for my '91 c1500 5 speed.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
IMO id just put a bigger gas engine in it for a swap. I know its not gonna get you the mileage your wanting, but if you want a diesel just buy a diesel. as far as swapping to a diesel I think its not worth it just to have a 6.5 if your gonna go through the trouble might as well put a better diesel engine in there.

Sent from my static android

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just do a mild 6.0 swap.. more horse power and can make 400 foot pounds of TQ easy.. with the right tune you can get 20mpg.. im getting 20 to 21 out of my 5.3 with all bolt on's an a good tune..

the 6.5 is junk IMO.. if i was to do a diesel i would just go with a ******'s.. can be done cheap and easy..

trailblazr81

Reaction score
The issue I have with a Duramax swap is that people want $4-$5 grand for a take out motor. I would love to do a Cummins swap but those motors are had to find in my budget.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
"Easy" haha, for some maybe! What kinda price range would one be looking at to have a swap like that done? o.o

$10k minimum.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-