Anyone do a double DIN on 94 or older dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys are on the right track with the Topkick dash, but its even easier than that. Some of the TKs that had A/C delete have a pocket in the middle of the dash where the aftermarket radio would go. And its about the right size for a DD. So you dont need to replace the dash, just the middle insert. Youll lose the vents, but it would be fairly easy to re-rout the air up to where the OEM radio was and maybe use a vent of 73-87 CK.

On the the most basic model gmt400 the oem radio slot, I think, has air already running to that spot from factory. This is only on the trucks without radios. I'm probably wrong but I thought I saw one like that 6 years ago when I was working in a mechanic shop.

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
I am still going to try some stuff here guys. I have a bit of financial difficulty but when I am back on my feet I plan on going full bore with getting a double din in the dash without resorting to hacking the dash apart.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am still going to try some stuff here guys. I have a bit of financial difficulty but when I am back on my feet I plan on going full bore with getting a double din in the dash without resorting to hacking the dash apart.

I am all for getting a double din as my next radio. Can't wait to see what you do!

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
Right there with ya. They got back to me also after I wrote to them. Soon as I can I am doing this. I have already spent over $100 on different layouts and dash modifications that looked like crap or just would not work. I think this is worth it. Let me know Rightisray how your install goes on this thread please. And take lots of pics...we are all very interested!

93.gmc.sierra

Reaction score
I put one in my truck.. Just kind of made it fit for now until it warms up and its not raining outside so I can take my time and finish it up. I had to cut the vents behind the dash down, I fiber glassed the hole and all the vents still work besides the two that got cut out of course

You must be registered for see images attach

Looks bad now but ill get her patched up and looking right

Reaction score
Hey 93.gmc.sierra that actually looks pretty good. I am thinking maybe get another one of those plates and cut the "bumpout" piece out of it and marry it with yours to make a hole the right size pretty easy and not too much finish work. I know the vents are a loss in stock form but maybe make another pair of small, fixed ones to allow some airflow from the dash? Got any in progress pics??

93.gmc.sierra

Reaction score
Hey 93.gmc.sierra that actually looks pretty good. I am thinking maybe get another one of those plates and cut the "bumpout" piece out of it and marry it with yours to make a hole the right size pretty easy and not too much finish work. I know the vents are a loss in stock form but maybe make another pair of small, fixed ones to allow some airflow from the dash? Got any in progress pics??

Those two pic's are the only two I have right now, I might work on it this weekend if its not to cold out.. If I do ill get some of the inside and some of the outside when I am all finished

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
I am trying to do this without losing the vents there in the middle. The Driven Nashville insert lets you keep the vents. I think they used smaller ones and that is ok with me. I am trying to have the best of both worlds with the double din and the vents. I think what they also did was cut the bottom part of the dash where the bezel clips go. Doing this could give you another 1/2 inch I believe.