Anyone do a double DIN on 94 or older dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
RAGMC's stuff is hot....I'm saving that for future use.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The best set up of DD I've ever. Seen in a 88-94, was the cut down and retch the dash down. Find the search and restaure show, watch the gmt 400 episode. They show a perfect way of running the DD on. These trucks.

I had to go look up what you were talking about:

You must be registered for see images attach

So, is this a custom piece, or does/did someone make that for the aftermarket?

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Dawm! I tried finding that! On. The show, they say who makes that piece. So if you watch it, it'll tell you. I looked them uo before.

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
I watched most of the show and can't find that segment. From the picture though that looks real slick and easy.

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
They talk about it in the 94 GMC Finale. But they only say the head unit is JVC and that the "custom" fabrication is by Driven Nashville. I sent them a message on Facebook asking if they make that double din insert and hope to hear back from them soon.

What I think they did was custom make the insert then they cut the dash down an inch or two, moved the wires behind there down and then the dd insert and stereo would fit. Not much else on info on that episode. Still, good show.

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
So I went to Driven Nashvilles facebook page and asked them about the install they did in that episode, they wrote back saying it was a custom job but that they would message me later about it. I will let you all know what I find out.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys are on the right track with the Topkick dash, but its even easier than that. Some of the TKs that had A/C delete have a pocket in the middle of the dash where the aftermarket radio would go. And its about the right size for a DD. So you dont need to replace the dash, just the middle insert. Youll lose the vents, but it would be fairly easy to re-rout the air up to where the OEM radio was and maybe use a vent of 73-87 CK.

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
thats not a bad idea either. The only thing is trying to avoid cutting the dash up. But I am at the point that I don't think that is possible. I tried looking for Topkick dashs and they are very expensive, way more than they need to be. I would still like to experiment with one though. Right now I am going to get a dash from Pic and Pull for $65 and mount that in my garage and build a place for my double din. If Driven Nashville comes thru somehow that would be great, but I am not counting on that.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That middle insert just pops in and out like the single din adapter. Seems the easiest to me. And it looks remarkably like that custom one by Driven Nashville.

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
If that piece can be made the vents might have to be shrunk to get the height just right. I might try to custom make a inset like they did. I have all the parts.