answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997 Z71

Reaction score
I just started hearing noises in first and reverse so im guessing its the planetary gear.. what could happen if I didn't fix it right away?

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
complete trasnmission failure, i wouldnt let that happen becasue i let my sun shell fall apart and it completely tore up everything else, including the case, which ment i had to start from scratch and get a new core and then rebuild it completely, so i wouldnt ride it untill it dies

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, got a new issue. Just had my trans pulled & rebuilt under a year ago. I have not towed or even used the 4wd to play since having it built. Only regular daily driven use. When I parked it Friday after I got home from work it was driving just fine. Now today it's barely moving out of it's own way in OD & 3rd. So if I'm taking off from a stop my RPM's climb while the truck barely inches forward, but once it's up to a certain speed it drives like normal. I tried moving from a stop in 1st & it seems to take off normal, same for 2nd even though 2nd feels kinda soft as well. But in 3rd & OD it can barely get itself moving.

Anyone have any ideas to start looking at? I'm at a total loss here & hoping it's not something I'll have to take it to a shop for.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
did that just happen all of the sudden or is it a problem that has progressed into hapening, and as always, how does your fluid work and do you have any engine codes

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did that just happen all of the sudden or is it a problem that has progressed into hapening, and as always, how does your fluid work and do you have any engine codes

If it has been building I have not noticed it at all. Like stated, was driving perfectly fine Friday when I drove it home from work. Parked it for the weekend & now it's doing this. I haven't checked the fluid yet as I assumed it would be fine given the recent rebuild, but I'll go double check it just to be sure.

Check engine light stays on b/c of a faulty rear O2 I haven't replaced yet. Haven't had the codes pulled yet to see if anything else is popping up.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
pull the codes and with the fluid, fluid can become completely burn in minutes, if your truck is slippping like your describing then the clutches could be taking alot of abuse, BUT, engine codes can tell us if its an electronic problem or not

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pull the codes and with the fluid, fluid can become completely burn in minutes, if your truck is slippping like your describing then the clutches could be taking alot of abuse, BUT, engine codes can tell us if its an electronic problem or not

Yea, I got a call in to the guy who I took it to for the work. It was supposed to have a really good warranty so I'm hoping I can get it fixed for free. I'm gonna go check the fluid right now & report back. I'll have to wait till I can leave work again to get the codes pulled.

Edit....fluid checked & looks good.

Last edited:

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well if you can get it done for free then why not right?/

that is what I'm hoping for but havig a hard time getting ahold of my buddy. i'm going to the parts store to have ANY codes it's throwing pulled on my way home. Maybe it's showing something trans related now.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
alot of times with 4l60e transmissions, the problem is something stupid like a tcc lock up solenoid, so maybe you can get lucky and itll be a inside the pan fix