answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hope this is the right place. its happened twice but not all the time. my service engine soon light comes on and when its on the tranny shifts hard from 1st to 4th. turn truck off light goes out and the tranny shifts fine again. doesnt shift hard in P N or R.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
your tranny is going limp mode, the reason its going into limp mode is what you have to find out, but when it shifts to high gear like that, its attempting to protect itself, my suggestion would be to try to get a code reader on it when the light comes on, or some times its worth just bringing it to a tranny shop and spending $50 having them diagnosing the problem and then fixing it yourself, becasue there are hundreds of reasons a tranny can go into limp mode

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the light only came on twice last weekend but hasn't done it at all all week. My mechanic said he couldn't get a code due to it being obd1. So im waiting for the light to hopefully come on before 5 tomorrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's good to hear

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
That's good to hear

dont get me wrong, i like the 4l60e, i rebuild them regularly but they never should have been put in gmt400s, they were created for 3200-3500 pound cars, not 5000-5500 trucks, so you tend to wear things out faster then you should, plus the electronics are sub par

AHellem

Reaction score
I have a problem with my 94 Chevy s10 blazer 4x4's 4l60e tranny witch I couldn't find answer to in your post!
When the tranny has been driven for a while or has been driven hard/aka when it is hot, it slipps and gears up and down and the digital Speedo runs riot... If I drive it very carefully it doesn't happen and it gears perfect when the machinery is cold.... After driving for more than half an hour in hot conditions it almost certainly starts to fail... It has around 155.000miles on the road...

Why does it fail? Is it a r&r tranny?

Thanks

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
I have a problem with my 94 Chevy s10 blazer 4x4's 4l60e tranny witch I couldn't find answer to in your post!
When the tranny has been driven for a while or has been driven hard/aka when it is hot, it slipps and gears up and down and the digital Speedo runs riot... If I drive it very carefully it doesn't happen and it gears perfect when the machinery is cold.... After driving for more than half an hour in hot conditions it almost certainly starts to fail... It has around 155.000miles on the road...

Why does it fail? Is it a r&r tranny?

Thanks

most likely needs to be rebuilt, could be that the clutches are over heating, but id get a trans temp guage adn see at what tempatures its failing at before you go rebuilding it because you need to prevent this from happening to another tranny

bornchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got one for you. when I driving and I let off the gas after maintaining speed for any given amount of time something I believe to do with the trans jerks the truck almost like I taped the brakes and then continues on its way. example. 65 mph 1500 rpm maintaining speed and rpm for any amount of time then I let off the gas no rpm change but it feels like I hit the brakes and then kept going. I also sometimes hear a loud thud and a loud ting and the u joints seem to be fine. Any ideas on what it could be?

1999 suburban 5.7, 4l60e, push button 4x4

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
I got one for you. when I driving and I let off the gas after maintaining speed for any given amount of time something I believe to do with the trans jerks the truck almost like I taped the brakes and then continues on its way. example. 65 mph 1500 rpm maintaining speed and rpm for any amount of time then I let off the gas no rpm change but it feels like I hit the brakes and then kept going. I also sometimes hear a loud thud and a loud ting and the u joints seem to be fine. Any ideas on what it could be?

1999 suburban 5.7, 4l60e, push button 4x4

hmmm thats a good one, there isnt anything ive ever heard of that fits that symptom but there is ways to look into it before tearing the tranny apart, first thing id do is check for engine codes, then chech the color of the fluid, then drop the pan and check the filter and magnet for metal shavings. my concern would be if its a had part problem, then youd have some sign of it in the pan