answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, ran to O'Reilly's and got the codes. It has 2 codes now. One is still the bank 2 O2 sensor failure(post cat) and the new code is a cat failure on bank 2 as well. Could the bad cat be causing this issue? Like throwing the truck into limp mode or something?

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
ok, ran to O'Reilly's and got the codes. It has 2 codes now. One is still the bank 2 O2 sensor failure(post cat) and the new code is a cat failure on bank 2 as well. Could the bad cat be causing this issue? Like throwing the truck into limp mode or something?

unlikely BUT i think there are on the same circuit in the fuse panel under the hood, check all of them and make sure they arent blown, specifically the ecu ones, i dont think its limp mode because ive had a transmission in limp mode before and it tends to feel like its starting in 3rd or OD, not like its slipping

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got ahold of my buddy last night, truck is being dropped at his shop this morning to be fixed under warranty.

Wark88

Reaction score
So when I drive for extended periods of time (30min+) mostly freeway.. when i start up from a stop it likes to slam into 2nd gear.. eventually the check engine light comes on with a P1870 code..
from what i reading the side effect of the p1870 causes the rough gear change, and to fix the p1870 i need to swap out the TCC valve.. im just wondering if that should solve the problem and if i should replace anything else while i have the valve body out..

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i had the same exact problem with my first transmission in my truck, never figured out what it was because i ended up cracking that transmission BBBUUUUTTTTTT i do know that what you can do is disconnect your battery for 10-15 seconds and plug it back in and it will work perfectly fine for a while, which leads me to believe it is in fact a electric problem so yes, in theory that should solve the problem, the goood thing is you can get a each of the 4l60e electronic components for like $20 a piece or ive seen some places who sell them as a bundle for like $120, and considering that all you have to do is drop the pan, its an easy fix, and replacing them all is a very good preventative maintenance

Reaction score
Got a 4l60e issue. Any help is appreciated. I won't be able to get someone to scan the truck until Friday. I've searched a number of forums and I can't find anything exactly like I'm experiencing. The trans has a fresh rebuild with a shift kit and corvette servo installed...not sure on the brands of those. The problem I'm having is when I shift from park or reverse to OD (my truck has P,R,N,OD,3,2,1) the truck will not move. I can get the rpm's up and it will kick in gear hard and move, but I'm not sure if it's in first or jumping on to second...I've only tried that once. If I manually shift it down to first or second and without moving the truck shift immediately back to OD it will go on into first an shift thru the gears normally. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you have a valve that isn't opening when/like it should. If it just got rebuilt take it back an have them recheck all the electrical parts and wiring.

Sent from what is likely a government flagged smartphone. Tyler/T-Unit

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds like the sprag is bad. It backs up ok? It works good if you pull it down to low, then shift up?

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you have a valve that isn't opening when/like it should. If it just got rebuilt take it back an have them recheck all the electrical parts and wiring.

Sent from what is likely a government flagged smartphone. Tyler/T-Unit

I'm thinking it is a valve sticking as well. Any ideas on a simple solution? The guy who rebuilt it is two hours from me and requires me to take the trans out of the truck...I'm just trying to take care of this before it comes to that.

It sounds like the sprag is bad. It backs up ok? It works good if you pull it down to low, then shift up?

I was thinking the sprag as well, but today it shifted and moved just fine from Park to OD and from Reverse to OD three times. If it were the sprag it would not work like that any time, correct?

Thanks for the help guys,

Eric