answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
They do this because a rebuild will take the guess work out of it, If they replace all the parts in the kit and check all the hard parts, it'll work.

98_k1500

Reaction score
You are not going to be able to tell what has been replaced and what has not. When you described it going out, thats about typical for a 4l60e. 2 of mind did that, the other two ended with a loud BANG. If its on that fresh of a rebuild, and as easy as the sprags are to change, i'd be very tempted to just stick a sprag in it and maybe some 4l65 planetaries if you plan on ******* it. I can show you what will happen to those factory planetaries with a little extra oomph under the hood and a lead foot.

Edit: this is exactly what will happen when you call on them ponies.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

98_k1500

Reaction score
Yea, sounds like the exact reason i started building my own. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but bulletproof 4l60e's are a myth. Mine has got a nv4500 in it now.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most transmission shops do sell a full rebuild on just about anything. But.... The main reason is not so much for profit. It's actually more profitable to charge someone $650 to tear one down and just replace a sungear if that's all it needs. Or replace a solenoid for $225. The problem with doing that is if 6 months down the road if anything else goes wrong with the transmission guess who your going to call raising hell? The guy that was just in there working on it. I can't count how many times I've repaired someone's reverse or changed a converter and months down the road I'll have to fix forward or even rebuild it to keep them happy. Normally I will get, "you should have fixed that while you had it apart" or "I paid you to fix my transmission, now it's broken". Most of the general public don't know the difference between repairing a transmission and a full rebuild. They want it fixed, warrantied, and never have to come back.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
You are not going to be able to tell what has been replaced and what has not. When you described it going out, thats about typical for a 4l60e. 2 of mind did that, the other two ended with a loud BANG. If its on that fresh of a rebuild, and as easy as the sprags are to change, i'd be very tempted to just stick a sprag in it and maybe some 4l65 planetaries if you plan on ******* it. I can show you what will happen to those factory planetaries with a little extra oomph under the hood and a lead foot.

Edit: this is exactly what will happen when you call on them ponies.

You must be registered for see images
nice job :) i shattered a sun shell once, that tore everything up and i had to replace all of the hard parts along with the clutches, it even tore up the case of the transmission a bit so i think i found a spare shell somewhere