another attention SAS guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im finally finishing up my solid axle conversion but ran into yet another problem. i got my rear driveshaft back because they had to change the rear yoke to a 1410 to fit the 14 bolt. i spent an hour in a junkyard laying on my back in mud and snow pulling a from driveshaft out the same truck as mine (95 chevy 1500 5spd with the 241c) because i some how lost my front shaft. now that i have it i tried installing it but its about three inches to long. did any of you have this problem? im guessing that the pinion yoke is alot longer on the d60 then the ifs diff. any ideas? thanks

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, D60 pinion is several inches longer than what ever you had in there before.

EDIT because my reading comprehension is off today.

are you having issue with the front shaft or the rear, you mention both with out a clear description of which is giving you issue.

for the rear, as stated above.

for the front check for the amount of slip travel in that drive shaft, most IFS trucks with fixed yoke T-cases only had about 2" os slip shaft travel to allow for install and removal of the drive shaft and are not designed to travel with suspension articulation. you run the risk of
1. driveshaft seperating during droop
2. bottoming out during compression and damaging the t-case

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Ditto. You need a shortened front shaft.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes i already got the rear driveshaft modified its the front thats giving me the problem now. im curious if theres a front shaft that will work out of another truck. if mine were an automatic i could probably get one out of a 5spd truck but unfortunately thats not the case. i compressed the front as much as it would go and its about three inches to long. so i guess im going to have to get the front the front shaft shortened then, sigh.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am using a modified XJ front drive shaft. As far as I know, there is no vehicle that you can just go pull a front shaft out of and it will bolt right up to your truck with a SAS. Too many variables between all SAS trucks.

see my post above regarding a IFS front shaft in a SAS truck

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes you can use any of the shafts out of the earlier box body chevys that had the np208 t cases. They also came with double cardan shafts which are far superior to your ifs shaft. Go to a junk yard and pull a shaft from the 80's chevys trucks which will have the same flange on the tcase side with a double cardan and the yoke you can change out if yo need to. But I used to use them until i upgraded to 1350 u joints and yokes. They will fit just fine. If you need the combo joint numbers let me know.

Also even better point is that since the shaft is shorter you can take your slip yoke off your ifs shaft and put it on your double cardan shaft. they are both 32 spline units if you get the fine spline count. the older chevys that had the np205's had corse thread 11 spline shafts. So look for a solid axle 80's chevy trucks and blazers and its a direct bolt it.

Last edited:

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BTW im also from CT. if you have your heart set on shortening your existing shaft let me know and I can do it for you. Its a piece of cake.