An F Body Guy With a Lot of Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thrasher91

Reaction score
Hello!

I’m not big on forums, but I figured I would introduce myself. I always considered myself more of a square body guy until I realized I’ve owned one square body and five GMT400 trucks…

This is the truck that started it all: My dad’s 1998 K3500 with a 454. He bought this in ’98 to replace his ’78 K20 daily driver, as well as tow the race car trailer. I grew up in this truck. He still owns it.

You must be registered for see images attach

My second truck was a 1990 GMC Sierra Sport Truck 4x4—which I found out is actually pretty rare. (My first truck was an ’86 GMC Sierra Classic). I got it with a TBI 350 and a TH350 trans. I eventually put a 700R4 back in it—then sold it shortly after. I truly miss this truck and would love to find/build another one. This was my primary mode of transportation for most of high school and my winter/secondary vehicle in college.

This is where I changed course. I replaced the ’90 GMC with a ’99 Chevy Suburban. I bought it with 270k miles… but I loved this thing. A tornado totaled it after only two years of ownership. Every time I see a grey OBS it makes me miss this truck.

While I was driving the above Suburban, I bought a ’94 C2500 Cheyenne package with a 454. My intention was to tow a trailer with this truck, but when I was forced to drive it every day after the tornado, I found out it got 4.4 MPG and was gutless… When it pulled an open trailer with a 3,200 pound car across town worse than my half-ton does down the highway I was done… I finally sold it this summer after owning it for years and basically never driving it.

I was able to score another ’99 Suburban around this time. This is still my secondary/winter daily and it absolutely cannot tow an enclosed trailer down the interstate. Within my first week of ownership I got a steal of a deal on some 2015 Yukon 18s.

Now for the truck I’ve always wanted: a 2000 K2500 crew cab short bed with a 454. I bought this truck earlier in the year (which means for a few months I owned three of these).

This truck hates me. About 20 miles into my 80 mile trip home the driver rear tire separated and about tossed me in the ditch, all while ripping the bedside open like a chestburster. That was a long day… After a new bed, rockers/cab corners, new wheels and tires, wiring and a new 4L80 I’m on my way to my dream truck. Paint is in its future as well as a few upgrades, but I bought this primarily to tow a 24ft enclosed trailer and to replace my current Suburban.

Because this isn’t long enough, for anyone who’s interested these are some of my other vehicles and why I tow a trailer: My 1996 Camaro Z28 that’s “just a rough running LT1” I drive almost daily during the summer—which I've owned since I was 17. And my 1985 Cutlass Supreme that I have even bigger plans for.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Seems to me you're a 400 guy with an F body. I have an F, Y, and G body myself. The 400 came first though. Gotta have something to haul the toys, that way when you break them you're not walking home.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from Alberta Canada
That' ST would have been a sweet ride in highschool!!!
That crew cab is the start of a wicked project, super jealous.
Your pops dually is really nice!
The cars aren't too shabby either.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from North Carolina! And a fellow K2500 owner; love the Cutlass too! I've been trying to find a G-body to match my friend's 3rd Gen Camaro.
Can't wait to see more progress!

Thrasher91

Reaction score
Quite the story, and collection of vehicles. Welcome aboard.
Thank you.

Seems to me you're a 400 guy with an F body. I have an F, Y, and G body myself. The 400 came first though. Gotta have something to haul the toys, that way when you break them you're not walking home.
I get that. In all reality it looks like I’m a Suburban guy who’s had a couple trucks and a couple f bodies. My truck came first, too, but the Camaro is my baby. Reading your signature I’m sure we could spend all day discussing just our cars, let alone our trucks. I think I’ve seen your Camaro on LS1Tech. I still lurk, but I used to be on there when I was younger.

Welcome from Alberta Canada
That' ST would have been a sweet ride in highschool!!!
That crew cab is the start of a wicked project, super jealous.
Your pops dually is really nice!
The cars aren't too shabby either.
Thank you. I wish I knew how unique that truck was when I was in high school. Sadly after I sold it it sat in a guys back yard for years. Last time I saw it was in front of a junk yard...

Welcome from North Carolina! And a fellow K2500 owner; love the Cutlass too! I've been trying to find a G-body to match my friend's 3rd Gen Camaro.
Can't wait to see more progress!
Thank you. I looked for a g body for years before I discovered this gem in a trailer park.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Fellow F-body guy here. We own a 1998 Z28 and a 1989 Formula Firebird. Have had three GMT400's in my life now. My '89 is much like your 1990 GMC, minus the sport package and automatic.

Edit: ..That feeling when you realize you replied to a dead thread..

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fellow F-body guy here. We own a 1998 Z28 and a 1989 Formula Firebird. Have had three GMT400's in my life now. My '89 is much like your 1990 GMC, minus the sport package and automatic.

Edit: ..That feeling when you realize you replied to a dead thread..
It's only a few months old....don't worry about it.
It's the 10yr old ones I giggle at.
Heck, maybe it will spur others on to show off their f-bodies.