Airbag light on the dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Californiadad

Reaction score
what does it mean when your airbag light on the dash flashes a few times on startup and then stays on. I just bought the truck a month ago, and its always done that. is that normal?

Truck is a 1997 Chevy K1500 4x4

Thanks

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It means that there is a system fault and when the light is on while the truck is running, the airbag's are bypassed and they will not function until the fault is corrected.

Californiadad

Reaction score
oh great, so the old man I bought the truck from strait up lied to me than. I asked about the and he was like oh that's normal.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well, it might be "normal" to him, but not to the trucks

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do not bring it to the dealer. They will not have the parts anyway. Use a scan tool to find the fault. Usually its a sensor, they are in the front under the front bumper and on the frame. They are easily identified by the bright yellow wiring. If when you hook up the scan tool, it shows the air bag module not communicating, then your problem is the module which is under the drivers front seat. It is removed by FIRST disconnecting the battery, remove the 3 10mm bolts, and 1 yellow plug. Go on ebay and buy a used one with the same part number and that usually solves the problem. The module gets crudded up from being on the floor, something spilling, or just wet feet. The truck will still run without the module until it arrives. The light will just stay on. It pretty easy to find the problem.