Dash Air Bag Light is On, But no Error Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PM18S4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1999 Suburban, K1500, 5.7L LT
Original driver and passenger airbags.
SIR wiring has never been touched.

About a month ago the 'Air Bag' light on my dash stayed on after starting it up.
I used a Foxwell NT630 to read the SIR module. (I had purchased it for ABS Bleed)
Oddly. no current or historical trouble codes were read; however, live data was readable.

Ignition: 12V
Lamp Driver: Internal
Driver Resistance: 0 Ω
Passenger Resistance: 0 Ω
Driver Senselo: .078 V
Passenger Senslo: .235 V
Driver VDIF: 76 mV
Passenger VDIF: 2 mV
Warning Lamp Control: On
Lamp Driver Feedback: Active
Warning Lamp On Time: 125 Hrs.
Warning Lamp Cycles: 87 Cycles
Driver Seatbelt: Unbuckled (Goes immediately to 'Buckled' when buckled)
Passenger Air Bag Enable: Low
Passenger Air Bag Disable: Low
Suppression Lamp Driver: Off

Anyone have any expertise with what my specific reading values mean?

Looking at the service manual doesn't shed much more light on the situation.
Pg. 9-41 lists typical data values, listed below, but not acceptable tolerances.

Ignition: 12V
Lamp Driver: Internal
Driver Resistance: 2.6 Ω
Passenger Resistance: 2.6 Ω
Driver Senselo: 4.1 V
Passenger Senslo: 4.1 V
Driver VDIF: 4-8 mV
Passenger VDIF: 4-8 mV
Warning Lamp Control: Off
Lamp Driver Feedback: Inactive
Warning Lamp On Time: 0-182 Hrs.
Warning Lamp Cycles: 0-125 Cycles
Driver Seatbelt: Buckled
Passenger Air Bag Enable: High
Passenger Air Bag Disable: Low
Suppression Lamp Driver: Off

The explanations on 9-42 don't provide much inside other than "Something is wrong"
With no error codes, the Diagnostic Guide (9-53) points to and SDM Integrity Check, 9-110.
When followed it point to replacing the SDM.

So what do I do now?
Is there a scanner that I can purchase without spending an arm-and-a-leg that has been confirmed to read and reset the module?

I really don't feel like trying to diagnose a SIR system hunting for a fault only to find it's one of the sensors, airbags, or the SIR module itself is bad.
It's not like I would be able to find new parts and getting SIR hardware from a treasure yard is rolling the dice if it will work correctly, for how long, and will it blow up in my face while in traffic. (I do not trust 20+ year old explosives exposed to the elements for god knows how long)
I'm leaning on replacing the entire wheel, R&R the passenger bag with a treasure yard cubby, and leave the dash light alone as a reminder that "something ain't normal".

Thoughts?

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I do not know any thing about the air bag system but if it was my truck I would take off the battery then pull the air bag fuse and then put the battery back on. air bags may save you in a crash but they can also be very dangerous if they ever go off when they should not. you may need to find some one to work on your air bag system.