Air bag code 33

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kskazan

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am having an issue with a 1996 k1500. My air bag light is on and stays on. I plugged my scan tool in the obd2 connector, and I have a code 33 “driver initiator circuit resistance high”. I am not sure what it means by initiator, so I don’t really know where to start. I can’t find any useful info on the internet. Any guidance would be helpful.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome,

I haven't looked but what does the factory service manual say? They're available for free download on links provided here in the forums - give it a try.

When the air bag warning light came on in my '06 it was pretty straightforward; hooked up the scanner and it told me I had a bad front impact sensor, and which one was bad. Easy fix on that one.

Richard

kskazan

Reaction score
Welcome,

I haven't looked but what does the factory service manual say? They're available for free download on links provided here in the forums - give it a try.

When the air bag warning light came on in my '06 it was pretty straightforward; hooked up the scanner and it told me I had a bad front impact sensor, and which one was bad. Easy fix on that one.

Richard
Hi Richard,
Thank you for your response. This truck is a 1996, and unfortunately it’s not as straight forward. I took your advice regarding the factory service manual though.
I spent a couple hours today going through the factory service manual. The first thing I found was no reference to a code 33. It skips that number. I looked instead for “driver initiator circuit resistance high” and found a flow chart in the manual with that exact header. The Manual gave that heading DTC 21. Anyway, I followed the flow chart. I removed the airbag, checked the clock spring, removed the control unit (DERM) and checked powers and grounds.
Everything checked out okay. I put it back together, connected the battery, and started it. All back to normal.
I’m not sure what to make of it at this point.
Kevin