Air bag code 33

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kskazan

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am having an issue with a 1996 k1500. My air bag light is on and stays on. I plugged my scan tool in the obd2 connector, and I have a code 33 “driver initiator circuit resistance high”. I am not sure what it means by initiator, so I don’t really know where to start. I can’t find any useful info on the internet. Any guidance would be helpful.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome,

I haven't looked but what does the factory service manual say? They're available for free download on links provided here in the forums - give it a try.

When the air bag warning light came on in my '06 it was pretty straightforward; hooked up the scanner and it told me I had a bad front impact sensor, and which one was bad. Easy fix on that one.

Richard

kskazan

Reaction score
Welcome,

I haven't looked but what does the factory service manual say? They're available for free download on links provided here in the forums - give it a try.

When the air bag warning light came on in my '06 it was pretty straightforward; hooked up the scanner and it told me I had a bad front impact sensor, and which one was bad. Easy fix on that one.

Richard
Hi Richard,
Thank you for your response. This truck is a 1996, and unfortunately it’s not as straight forward. I took your advice regarding the factory service manual though.
I spent a couple hours today going through the factory service manual. The first thing I found was no reference to a code 33. It skips that number. I looked instead for “driver initiator circuit resistance high” and found a flow chart in the manual with that exact header. The Manual gave that heading DTC 21. Anyway, I followed the flow chart. I removed the airbag, checked the clock spring, removed the control unit (DERM) and checked powers and grounds.
Everything checked out okay. I put it back together, connected the battery, and started it. All back to normal.
I’m not sure what to make of it at this point.
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
98_Silverado